KellyB
Newly Registered

Help me rescue my frozen Black Olive

I have a dwarf black olive bonsai that repotted - it has thrived over the summer/fall. I live in Atlanta and the temperature dropped this week for a few days while I was out of town and my bonsais were outside. The junipers are all fine, but my black olive isn't, I'm afraid. The leaves have all faded a bit and are turning brown. I brought it inside immediately - but am not sure how to rescue it. There is still green in the trunk, so it isn't dead. Can someone PLEASE advise me how to rescue? Thanks for any help!!

arboricola

Hello KellyB,

You have done about all you can do for now. Keep it in a well lit area. Hold back on the water until soil is almost dry. Do not feed.

The tree as been stressed to the max, so it may take a while if it's going to recover. All you can do now is wait.

Keep us posted on how it's doing and good luck.

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KellyB,

Glad to hear that the Junipers have come around. When you say black olive do you mean Bucida buceras as opposed to true olive Olea europaea? In my area both of these plants are basically unfamiliar to me. I tried a Bucida once but had no luck whatsoever with it. Perhaps another member can offer some help.

Be careful not to overcompensate with excessive watering. With compromised foliage the tree will not transpire as much water and will not require watering as frequently as it did before. Continue to water thoroughly when you do, just be aware this this will likely slow down.

Since it is inside you might want to try to compensate for the low humidity with a humidity tray, misting or both. I would not consider any other work for while either. Sorry I can't be more specific

Norm

KellyB
Newly Registered

Thanks for the input. I am attaching a few pics of the little fella after the freeze. How long should I go without watering? I'm assuming that it should remain indoors until spring. Should I be misting it? What type of watering schedule should it be on? Thanks so much for your help! You guys are a lifesaver!
[img]https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h142/kbrowne_photos/bonsai3.jpg[/img]<br />
[img]https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h142/kbrowne_photos/bonsai2.jpg[/img]<br />[img]https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h142/kbrowne_photos/bonsai1.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Kelly,
How long should I go without watering? What type of watering schedule should it be on?
I hope that you are using the word 'schedule' loosely. Never water on a schedule, check your trees daily and water as necessary. Temperate trees, during their dormancy, will not require as frequent attention but make sure not to forget those either. Please read the general growing sticky at the top of the forum for tips on watering.

As I said earlier I had no luck with this species in my climate so I can't offer detailed advice although I do know that it is tender and should not be exposed to low temperatures. Does anyone else have anything?

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”