DDMcKenna

I think Juni is dying!

I think I was too aggressive with my cleaning of her root-ball when I repotted her. I think I did everything else just right, all new genuine Bonsai soil and half a teaspoon of that slow release fertilizer about midway in the new soil and the other half teaspoon spread around near the surface of the new soil.

I noted that she drains SO much faster now since I repotted her. I am trying to stay on top of the watering, making sure she dries pretty good between waterings. If any soil sticks to the wooden stick that I poke in the soil, I wait and only mist her. I have a very light dose of that liquid fertilizer in the water I mist her with. But when I do water her, I pour two or three 32 ounce cups of water through her soil. It drains out freely and we did have a few rainy days here recently so I didn't have to water her that often.

But over three-fourths of her little needles are brown now. And the ones that are still green are a very faded light green. I just don't know what else to do. She looks very unhappy. It's only been about a month or so, so she's changing very rapidly. I hope there is something I can do to bring her back around before it's too late!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

DDMcKenna,

Sorry to hear about your problem, but don't give up too soon. Keep up with the misting while carefully monitoring the soil.
I know it doesn't really help but know that killing a tree, or several, is not uncommon, especially in the early stages of your efforts. Perhaps you should consider other species that are more appropriate to your climate.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Juniper con't give me the tell-tales for care.

DDMcKenna

She seemed green and healthy and happy and then, just all of a sudden, all her little needles just started turning brown. I don't think I changed or neglected anything. The only thing I can think of is that is was a couple weeks after I repotted her. I don't know what it is really. But I am trying to monitor her watering very closely while misting her daily. Not sure what else to do...

I thought about cutting her back a bit, maybe she is just too big for the limited root system she has now. I could remove a number of limbs and leave just a main one or two?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”