ajaifel
Newly Registered

I'm leaving it alone for a week, advice please

I have just got my first bonsai tree, a chinese elm, and I'm not what I sould do with it to prepare it as I've kept it inside for the last week, which is when I got it, and I could use some advice on how to prepare it for me leaving for a week.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ajaifel,

Being this is a new tree you are probably not yet keenly in touch with its watering needs. How quickly does it appear to be drying out? Can you describe the soil, does it appear to be primarily peat or more gritty in nature? A loose gritty soil will dry quicker than a dense organic mixture.

If you cannot get anyone to look in on it for you then make sure to water it well before you leave and place the whole tree in a large plastic bag to maintain moisture. Also lowering the temperature will slow water loss.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajaifel
Newly Registered

It appers to be made up of quite alot of compost and not grit and I have no idea of it watering needs but the soil seems to mostly dry after an immersion watering in about 3 days or so but I could be wrong

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ajaifel,
It appers to be made up of quite alot of compost and not grit
This is an inappropriate medium for bonsai and you should begin research on proper bonsai soils so you will be informed come spring so you can re-pot, at which time your tree should go outside.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

For now though the heavier soil should help to buffer the dry spell that you are about to put it through. Soak it thoroughly before you go and try the plastic bag trick. Good luck.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”