Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

Miniature Asian Style Garden(Terrarium)

Hello everyone, I've made my first terrarium. It is a little Vietnamese style garden on top of my 10 gallon tank. All the moss and plants are real, except the lotus flowers which I made it out of clay (it took several attempts until I became satisfied with the look of the flowers). I also made the bridge from scratch.

At first I thought all the plants I was using would work well in aquaponic system, but turned out that they weren't, so I had to use another layer of foam to protect the roots of the plants.

I'm still new to this so all suggestion and criticism are welcome

Thank you.

Make sure your speakers are muted if you don't like to listen to foreign music :()

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Looks amazing! :D I'm sure it would look wonderful in any livingroom...and looks expensive! I've seen mini gardens for sale at $400+ each!

Just cusious...what are those two trees at the back? :)

Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

Thank you for your kind words Annalkona. It didn't cost much when I built this garden because all of the plants I bought were below $4/ each. I also made the bridge out of popsicle sticks and the lotus flowers out of clay . It did took a lot of time since I had to learn how to make everything from scratch.

Sorry, but I don't have the answers about the plants at the moment, because I purchased them while they were on sale without tags. But I have been trying to find out their names and I will definitely let you know soon. Have a wonderful weekend. :)
AnnaIkona wrote:Looks amazing! :D I'm sure it would look wonderful in any livingroom...and looks expensive! I've seen mini gardens for sale at $400+ each!

Just cusious...what are those two trees at the back? :)

webmaster
Site Admin

Love it! Especially like that you made the bridge out of popsicle sticks, that's inspirational. Thanks for sharing! :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

If you are interested in finding out what varieties those trees are, I'm sure if you post up a few close ups in a new thread, some of our forum members would gladly help and identify them :)

Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

Thank you Webmaster. The bridge was not hard to make, just time consuming :D
webmaster wrote:Love it! Especially like that you made the bridge out of popsicle sticks, that's inspirational. Thanks for sharing! :)

Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

Thank you Annalkona. A member of another site replied to my question regarding about the plants. The one on the left is False Aralia (Schefflera elegantissima) and the other is Ming Aralia. I hope that helps :)

AnnaIkona wrote:If you are interested in finding out what varieties those trees are, I'm sure if you post up a few close ups in a new thread, some of our forum members would gladly help and identify them :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Yes, Luan! It does look like it...love the Ming Aralia :) thank you for the help

Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

You are very welcome, Annalkona. :mrgreen:
AnnaIkona wrote:Yes, Luan! It does look like it...love the Ming Aralia :) thank you for the help

Luan Nguyen
Newly Registered

I purchased LED string lights and used it for my terrarium. I think it looks really fun at night and the lights are waterproof.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”