bonsai_neophyte
Newly Registered

My first tree, a Brazilian rain tree

Hi, I haven't posted in a fairly long time because I didn't have a reason to. Now I have acquired my first bonsai tree! I am seeking some advice/help for it. 1) what is the best soil combo for this type of tree (I have read inorganic combo is best but no specifics as of yet)? 2) can you guys give me an estimate on age with the pictures I post? I believe it to be an airlayered branch because the "trunk" has what appears to be wire marks. 3) I don't like how small the trunk is so I planted it into a larger pot that will still keep the roots shallow so I can put it right back into a bonsai pot without root training, was this a good idea? I planted it in a soil made for cuttings to increase root growth. 4) what is a good 10-10-10 liquid fertilizer? A name please, everywhere I look says to use one but fails to name one, thank you for any help :D
Attachments
20160401_140038_001.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsai_neophyte,

Hello and welcome.
1) what is the best soil combo for this type of tree (I have read inorganic combo is best but no specifics as of yet)
Modern bonsai soils are largely inorganic but this can vary according to species, location, watering habits, etc. What works for me with a Pine may not work for you with a Ficus.
2) can you guys give me an estimate on age with the pictures I post? I believe it to be an airlayered branch because the "trunk" has what appears to be wire marks.
You're probably right about the air layer but don't worry too much about the actual age. In bonsai, the appearance of age is more important.
3) I don't like how small the trunk is so I planted it into a larger pot that will still keep the roots shallow so I can put it right back into a bonsai pot without root training, was this a good idea?
The re-potting into a wider but still shallow pot was a good move. Are the pebbles a top dressing?
4) what is a good 10-10-10 liquid fertilizer? A name please, everywhere I look says to use one but fails to name one,
A very well known bonsai artist does not concern himself much with brands of fertilizer. Older trees require less fertilizer while younger ones benefit from a more intensive regimen .

bonsai_neophyte
Newly Registered

Thank you Gnome, yes the pebbles are an aesthetic top dressing. I purchased dyna-gro bonsai specific fertilizer. With my type of tree they say to not wire it, but to guy-wire it because it scars so easily. However, I cannot find information on what a guy-wire is.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Guy wire is just a wire used for bracing/ supporting free standing structures:

So in this case, it means you would direct your trees growth by tension from a wire attached to the ground, rather than by wires wrapped around the tree.

And as you can see here, the loops around the tree should be soft:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”