lister.cat
Newly Registered

White speckles on Chinese Elm Bonsai

I received an indoor Chinese Elm as a gift about 6 months ago and although at first I had no problems, gradually the tree began loosing leaves, and develop what I can only describe as white speckles on the branches and the trunk. After looking at other forums someone suggested it could be the type of water being used to water the tree (I'm using tap water). However I fear it may have aphids or another type of pest. The leaves have still not grown back and I'm starting to worry that I may have killed the tree, as a first time owner I'd appreciate any advice :(
- I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum originally I'm new to helpful gardener.
IMG_5393.jpg
IMG_5394.jpg
IMG_5395.jpg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Scratch the bark to confirm my diagnosis, If the inner bark is still green there is life still left in your elm. But. I fear the peat based soil it has been repotted in, has drowned the tree.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, probably over-watered in soil that holds too much water.

But that doesn't account for the white specks. Hard water can leave a white crust behind on the soil, but that would be just a flat deposit and more likely on the soil than the tree. It wouldn't be so three dimensional.

I expect your diagnosis of aphids, maybe woolly aphids, or something like that, is accurate. Spray your tree with insecticidal soap or Neem oil to get rid of them.

But you waited a long time to come and ask. Your tree is in very bad shape and may not be salvageable.

Before you replace it, read the articles here https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/ about bonsai care, bonsai soil, watering ,etc.

Here's a thread about bonsai soils : https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422 with links to more info.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”