artisanoo

light stand with built in water basin- ideas?

hey guys -

right now my trees/twigs in soil are all on styrofoam blocks of varying heights, under a single 48" fluo tube.

a stand will allow me to have more room for the trees instead of cramming them all under a single tube, and be a little nicer looking (and relieve me have having to sit on the floor or bend down to look at my trees :) )

I want to have 2 sections, each with a 4 foot bulb fixture (dual I think, with reflector) , perhaps in an "L" shape, for a corner.

perhaps one could be 5 feet long, so that the extra square foot at the base of the "L" could be sued for supplies, or maybe some other house plant for accent.

my question is here -
my one gripe is that right now I need to take each plant one by one to the sink to water them so as not to get water everywhere. I want to be able to water them in place and have some sort of catch basin that will serve to catch run through, as well as server as a large humidity tray under the trees.

I am picturing that the "table" itself (and keep in mind the whole thing would be on legs so as to be at a good viewing height) would actually be some sort of long wooden box, with an open top. the top would then be covered with a metal shelving (the kind that looks like a grill, with holes for stuff to fall through). inside the box would be need to be lined with something (or have a plastic basin or somesuch) to hold the water that drops through, so the wood is not continuously in direct contact with puddles of water.

thats just a rough idea, but I'm sure many variations are possible.

any comments/criticisms/thoughts/suggestions?

drzaiusx11

I have a very similar setup with the exact same problems. If you construct such a solution, be sure to share any plans with us :wink:

I had a similar idea where I was going to pickup some metal shelving like this (metal crossbar construction that would allow water to pass through):

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Metal-Shelving-3-Shelves/dp/B0002O9HLC][img]https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414S2V58PJL._AA280_.jpg[/img][/url]

and somehow attach some plastic trays underneath to act as water catchers/humidity trays. there's still the problem of where to attach the lights...

artisanoo

thats the type of shelf I'm talking about, yeah - only 4 feet long and without the stand.

I was going for a one tiered system, as opposed to three as you would have with that.

although if you used that, maybe you can put extra bars connecting each pair of side legs just where you want a light, then hang some short chains to hold up some tube fixtures - as long as you are sure water wont drip all over them

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Hey guys,

Take a look [url=https://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pipe.htm]here[/url] for some ideas of what can be built using readily available PVC plumbing. It could be one or two tiers high and as long as you wish. An L shaped structure could be fabricated with the proper fittings.

If you know someone who is handy fabricating metal a lightweight drip pan should not be too hard to envision. Soldering or brazing of the joints would be ideal. A valve could be incorporated into the bottom to drain excess water into a bucket. Gravel in the pan would serve as a humidity tray. So it would not get funky the old water would be drained away before each watering of the plants.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

artisanoo

the reason I suggested wood was because this will be in my home and I don t think wife will be so happy with a pvc pipe system :)
it would need to be "pretty"

any wood fabrication would be no problem, I know people who can help with that easily. maybe a combo, where I take the wood, but line it with cheap sheet metal, painted black, with the gravel in it. I like the valve idea as well, I was wondering how I would get rid of old water in there.

does that sound silly?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

artisanoo,

Well how about something like a dry sink.

[img]https://www.newoxfordantiques.com/abbotthouse2.jpg[/img]

The drain water could be handled with something as simple as a 5 gal bucket. Not very elegant but it would be hidden behind the lower doors.

Norm

artisanoo

looks cool but the shape wouldn't work in my space - thats why I wanted th L shape. same idea though.

arboricola

Here's what I use. 11x22 propagation trays w/o holes. A plastic grid fits in the bottom. excess water drains into the tray and evaporates. I used to use gravel, but had a real problem with pond scum. The trays are easy to clean. the shelves are a standard wall mounted unit. Each shelf is 12X48.

[img]https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/coloradus/DSC00025Small.jpg[/img]

Phil...

artisanoo

thhose trays are enough to hold all the water that runs through after a thorough watering?

arboricola

thhose trays are enough to hold all the water that runs through after a thorough watering?

The trays will hold over a gallon of water. You will have to adjust the grid to match the amount of runoff. You can use PVC pipe caps or lenghts of PVC pipe cut to 1½ - 2 inches. One in each corner and 2 in the middle with the grid on top. 1½ lenghts will be enough to allow 1 Gal of runoff without touching the pot.

Phil...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”