Driver170

Slip potting coming on well

Afte slip potting my ficus a few months ago, new white roots are appearing around the new soil where I filled the gap up. :-()

1. Will I add more soil around the corners to give more depth of soil for the new roots as they are showing?

2. As slip potting is temporary will I now leave repotting this summer?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,

Glad that things are looking OK for you.
1. Will I add more soil around the corners to give more depth of soil for the new roots as they are showing?
I don't quite get this. I thought that you would have filled the gap entirely when the last work was done. Yes you can add some more soil if necessary.

It is often recommended that Ficus are re-potted during warm weather so recovery is quicker. Are you preparing for the re-pot? Appropriately sized/shaped pot and a good free draining soilless mix.

Driver170

Hi thanks! Its all good now, not had a leaf drop for a few weeks now. Maybe it was cause of my last water 4 weeks ago had a few yellow ones falling off.

Well I have filled the gaps up but the soil base isn't flat it goes up a slight slope to the trunk. But where the gap was you can see new roots coming out so was going to add another inch of soil on top.

Well I was just going to resoil it and keep it in the same pot I bought when I moved it. I just wanted new soil in for better drainage etc.

What soil would you recommend?

I found this one - https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/premium-bon ... ed-formula

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,

I mix my own soil but what you have linked to seems fine. Your watering habits will of course change. Four weeks between watering indicates that the soil is very heavy and/or that the plant was not transpiring much water.

Driver170

Yeh its over 4 weeks. My last watering was on the 21st jan! The soil must be heavy.

How do I know if the plant isn't taking much water in? Maybe thats why I got yellow leaf drop? I only mist twice a day soil is still dump with the chopstick method.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”