Driver170

New light for ficus Microcarpa

I really hope this will benefit my ficus. Just need to watch it thrive now :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,

Things are looking pretty good so far. I assume that you have watered it by now, correct? It's important that you saturate the entire root-ball, but I think you got that. Since you mentioned that you live in Scotland what are your plans for it later this year?

I think I see an air layer in the future.

Driver170

Yeh only small leafs are falling off and not the big green ones.

I haven't watered yet as the chop stick is still slightly damp and some soil stuck to it.

Should I water it? I'm kinda scared incase I'm too early.

I'm not sure what I want to do with it? Don't even know how to shape or prune lol

Air layer?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,

You are doing the right thing, but only you can determine when to water next. It does not have to be truly dry, just approaching dryness.

Air layering is a technique that will allow you to induce roots from a chosen portion of the trunk. In your case you can separate the top with new roots already in place. Both portions will then be much more in scale with the diameter of the trunk.

Driver170

Good thing I haven't lost much leafs except these ones in the picture. I was expecting loads to fall off.

I'll water it in the morning tomorrow about half 7am. Is that ok?

Still slightly confused about air layering is it any beneficial?

Driver170

Falling leaf
Attachments
image.jpg

Driver170

Yellow leafs anyone???

Driver170

I just gave my ficus alot of water because the composte is really packed so made sure it soaked all the way through. I hope I haven't drowned the thing

applestar
Mod

I have no experience with this particular species, but in my experience with others, all tropical (by this I mean any that doesn't survive the Zone 6 -- negative single digit °F winter temp and need to be brought indoors) trees and plants develop yellowed leaves and shed some of them during the depth of winter, regardless of how well you are maintaining the growing conditions.

My tea shrublet has dropped all its leaves but are growing tiny new leaves. Downstairs avocado and mango have dropped most of the biggest leaves they grew last summer. Coffee and Jasmine are yellowing and losing about a dozen leaves a week....

Just a thought, although you should still keep an eye out for possible pests like mites, scales, mealybugs, and white flies.

Driver170

Ok thanks. No water is coming out of the bottom holes so just hope its not water logged

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,
No water is coming out of the bottom holes so just hope its not water logged
It's probably just the opposite. If the soil is properly saturated water should come out of the holes. You should water to the point of saturation each time you water otherwise you are leaving some part of the root-ball dry.

Driver170

So should I do another water then? Even though its 18:30 in the UK?

Driver170

Another watering
Attachments
image.jpeg

Driver170

Few more yellow leafs fell off. Is this the case of over watering?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Driver170,

Not necessarily. It is not uncommon for Ficus to shed leaves when introduced to a new environment. Also, don't disregard the fact that no leaf lasts forever. I keep plants under fluorescent lights out of necessity and, to be honest, by the time spring rolls around most are showing it. Everything really does much better outside during summer.

Don't get too excited yet, slow and steady wins the race.

Driver170

Yeh very true. Does your strip light cover the whole plant canopy? I have two flourescent strip lights but they don't cover the whole canopy, sha'll I buy a four strip that covers it all? Also are you in the UK? Summer isn't always ideal for ficus outside in the UK.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”