J_Zullo
Newly Registered

Seeking advice for/critique of my first juniper winter setup

Hello!

I received a juniper bonsai for a Christmas present; it was a very nice gift, but the gifter isn't a gardener and probably didn't realize that junipers are outdoor plants, and that my conditions aren't conducive to keeping it alive. :( I live in an apartment in Chicago, with a small balcony/fire escape.

I am new to bonsai, but I've done a lot of reading and the general sense is that I can't put the tree outdoors for the winter because it's too late for it to prepare for winter, and it would be too much of a shock (the plant came from a heated greenhouse, and it was -3 F yesterday evening here :? ).

Most of the advice I've found online suggests that the ideal place to winter an unadjusted juniper is an unheated indoor space, like a garage. Unfortunately, I don't have access to anything like that in my apartment building. :oops:

I managed to come up with a compromise of sorts--my apartment has old inner sash windows and new outer storm windows. The space in between is significantly cooler than the apartment, but still warmer than outside--I'd guess it's usually between 30 and 40, depending on the outside temp. Obviously, being in a windowsill, it gets a fair amount of sun (East-facing window). I have it sitting on top of gravel tray full of water, to try and boost the humidity a bit.

Am I crazy to think this would work? I want to keep this plant alive--it's not the plant's fault that its gifter didn't realize it was being set up for failure (again, it was a very nice gift--I've always wanted a bonsai, but have never had the living situation to properly care for one).

Any and all advice will be tremendously appreciated! O:)
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (44.02 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So the juniper is sitting in between the inner window and the storm window? How sealed is that space? My concern would be, if the space is sealed (which for your apartment heat you would want it to be), if you get a bright sunny day, it might heat up enough in there to cook your tree. Certainly might expose it to huge temperature swings, not a good thing.

A. Sears

I think you have a good plan.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”