Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Re: New Ficus Microcarpa Ginseng owner

Driver170,

Misting is good but no substitute for proper watering. I think new growers can really benefit from using what we call the chopstick method. Insert a chopstick or kitchen skewer into the denser portion of the soil and leave it there. Every day remove it and check for moisture by touching it to the underside of your wrist. If it is damp do not water that day. When the skewer is dry water liberally. Your pot does have a hole in it, correct?

Driver170

Driver170

My chopstick is still damp looking and it feels damp.

Yeh holes at the bottom and I covered it with mesh to stop the stones falling out.

I also bought a garden watering can for the next watering when the chopstick gets dry :)

So what food would you recommend for a ficus?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Driver170

Worried to water my ficus just incase its still too early.

The chopstick isn't as damp but its getting dry soil still sticks to it but not alot. Top soil looks dry. Underneath is slightly damp but most of its flacky dry spoil partial damp.

Anyone please

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The soil staying damp so long after a watering is a sign that at least the original soil it came in is not right for it, too much peat moss, too heavy, holds water too long. I have to say that even though you said that what you put around the edges is "bonsai compost" (I know in the UK you use "compost" to mean what we call potting mix), it still looks way more organic than I expect bonsai soil to be. Proper bonsai soil is very mineral, gritty, and free draining.

Here's a couple good discussions of bonsai soil:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/soil.html

Driver170

Maybe its been in that soil for a few years and it needs repotting? I'm not sure.

The bonsai soil I got is for bonsai's and I also got small grit stones to mix it in with

Driver170

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”