penguin022
Newly Registered

Please HELP!! Leaves are turning black.

I received a bonsai tree (tropical Pitch Apple) in the mail a couple weeks ago. It looked healthy at first, but almost all the leaves fell off within a few days, and the remaining leaves are turning brown and black, starting at the base and spreading toward the tips. It's sitting in front of a window and I water it every couple days. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Attachments
IMG_20151222_164058974.jpg
IMG_20151222_164011579_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151222_163948159_HDR.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

penguin022,

I suspect that you are watering it too frequently, especially considering that it currently has little/no viable foliage. Water as required, not on a schedule.
insert a kitchen skewer or chopstick to the bottom of the pot and leave it there. Take it out daily to check it; if the skewer has soil stuck to it don't water. Touch the wood to your cheek or underside of your wrist, if it is damp there is no need to water.
What is under the topdressing on the soil?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right, the fewer leaves it has , the less it is growing , the less water it is using .

I was also wondering what the soil is like under the little rocks . Are they glued down? If so , they need to be chiseled off.

Most of the bonsai that people write in here about come in peat moss based potting soil , which is all wrong for them . Real bonsai soil is very mineral , gritty , loose , and free draining .

penguin022
Newly Registered

I'm not sure what peat moss based soil looks like, but this soil feels more on the gritty side. I think you guys are right, that it's overwatered, because the soil still is pretty wet even though I haven't watered it in a few days. Can a tree recover from that?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”