BatuSan
Newly Registered

Ficus / Fall of the Leaves / Browning / Yellowing /Crinkling

Hi All,

Again and again same problem.

Ginseng loss of leaves.
I attached some photos. I did not observe root roting.

I guess water regime or fertilizing.

Even new sideslips are drying and browning.

Looking for suggestions and helps.
Attachments
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

spacegirl

Have you recently moved the plant to a new location or in any way has the light levels been different? This can often cause leaf loss. If everything you have been doing is the same have you looked into other pests?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

My friend gave me a dieing ficus to try to save. It was looking pretty bad. I transplanted it to a bigger pot with some quality potting soil. It perked up and is now a beautiful plant.

imafan26
Mod

Potted plants do have to be repotted every year or two. Some bonsai have to be repotted every six months. It is all part of maintenance. Changes in light and underpotting can explain the symptoms. It is best to repot plant before their roots start to come out of the drain hole. If a ficus is healthy it can tolerate a bit of root pruning and go back into the same pot. I usually take off an inch or less, soak and aerate the root ball and fill in with some new soil around the edges. I use slow release fertilizer so I only have to fertilize twice a year.

BatuSan
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Potted plants do have to be repotted every year or two. Some bonsai have to be repotted every six months. It is all part of maintenance. Changes in light and underpotting can explain the symptoms. It is best to repot plant before their roots start to come out of the drain hole. If a ficus is healthy it can tolerate a bit of root pruning and go back into the same pot. I usually take off an inch or less, soak and aerate the root ball and fill in with some new soil around the edges. I use slow release fertilizer so I only have to fertilize twice a year.

Dear Imafan26,

Thank you for your response. Ther was no change of enviroment. So you think the problem is about potting and soil. Nowadays leaf fall and browning stopped. (I added some fresh soil)

Top leaves did all run out. Now the tree is topless. What would you think about the fall of all top leaves? (I guess air stream or lack of water?)

Thank you

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”