shale366
Newly Registered

HOW MUCH WATER-(for my Juniper)

I am new at this my boyfriend gave me a juniper for my birthday.I've been reading and I've read that you should water it every day then I read they don't like alot of water which way do I go small pieces are falling off. It's not brown I spray it with water every day. Have I done something wrong. I live in North Carolina so I cant leave it outside its to cold. Help please I don't want this tree to die.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I had to post before finishing your first sentence.

You definately not need to water everyday, give the stickies a read in the Bonsai Forum.

But, what you should do is check the soil with a toothpick or chopstick, if the soil sticks to the wood, you don't need to water.

Keep in mind that Junipers are accustomed to deset temperatures, given you have it in a pot and left on it's own the tree would freeze... this means that you should insulate the pot. But, you should have the tree outside such that it can go dormant.

If the tree is not allowed to go into it's "rest" phase it will suffer and eventually die. You still should water but, not nearly as often in winter.

Some people place the bonsai in a larger pot to insulte and cover the trees pot leaving the tree itself open to sunlight.

You can also bury the pot in some sawdust, or soil (not if it's ceramic, the pot may break).

Another option is to put your tree in the garage with a grow light.

Anyway, I have my Junipers outside where it is currently -2 C and goes down to about -5 or lower. In the dessert you'll probably go down to about -20 but, provided that you insulate your tree a bit, it should be fine.

Though, it sounds like it is in a bit of trouble right now.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shale366,

Hello and welcome to the site. Can you please let us know how long you have had the tree and the conditions it was kept in before you acquired it?
I've been reading and I've read that you should water it every day then I read they don't like alot of water which way do I go
Any site or individual who suggests that you water a bonsai on a schedule should be viewed with suspicion. There are way too many variables to make such a general statement. Some considerations would be species, location, season, temperature, pot size, soil type and health of the plant.

During the peak of summer many of my trees do require water daily but this has slowed considerably as the weather has cooled. The only thing that you can put on a schedule is you, check it daily and water only as required. When you do water do so thoroughly, a little water often is the wrong approach.
I live in North Carolina so I cant leave it outside its to cold.
It most definitely is not too cold for Junipers in your area. Mine is outside right now, unprotected with snow on it, they are pretty hardy plants. Although Junipers do not experience the same type of dormancy as deciduous trees they do slow down considerably. As Opa noted this is necessary for the health of the tree.

There is some concern though as to how it has been kept recently. Dormancy is a gradual process induced slowly by decreasing day lengths and lower temperatures. Without these natural triggers your tree may not be prepared for a sudden transition. We see this situation often on these pages and I am always somewhat at a loss as what to suggest. This is why I am interested in how it was kept recently, if you know. In your climate it is probably mild enough to survive the winter if placed outside now.

Another excellent way to over-winter your tree is to remove it from the pot, providing the root-ball is stable enough not to collapse, and plant it in a sheltered location in your garden or flowerbed. Make sure to water it in well to eliminate air pockets and mulch it in after the ground cools.

As to the problem you are experiencing it is hard to say. How long has this been happening? Has your central heating been kicking on recently? Unless the tree was purchased form an actual bonsai nursery it is very likely that the soil is all wrong. Is the soil dense and peaty or loose and gritty, the latter is correct especially for Junipers. Combine this with the (possible) over-watering and it is likely that the roots are in some distress.

Do read the sticky threads on general growing and soils. Pictures are alway helpful as well.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html[/url]

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Desert temps?? What is that? Sahara? Or Upper Mongolia To be much more specific/accurate, a juniper is hardy down to ~ -20f, but roots should be at least semi-protected by placing potand all in-ground or slipping pot into a larger and back-filling with a no-very-water-retentive media like semi-sceened bark mulch or such. Do not plant in-ground sans pot now (too late in year probably) as junipers have a notable amount of root-growth from Fall through early/mid-winter until ground temps drop (not an air-temp thing). You don't want to disturb the new roots once they have 'grown' as they will not be able to provide water for the plant until temps are such that new roots can replace them (as in Spring).

Do you know the species of Juniper? Care can vary a bit for various types - and is this one in a 'bonsai' pot or a nursery pot? Is it in a very-gritty soil or something more like houseplant soil? BIG difference..and if its gritty, don't depend on anything sticking to a 'stick' ;) Look for *moisture* upon the stick, not particles of anything. A juniper, more or less, should not have 'dirt' that sticks to a stick stuck in soil - if it does, you need to go with a different soil when appropriate. Its just better overall that way.

Are the pieces that are falling off very-dry and crispy, or still 'lush'? Could they have been broken off by something brushing against them earlier maybe? Any evidence of tiny bugs within the foliage mass(es)? Like tiny webs or super-small reddish/brown specks? Oftentimes, a mag glass can help find mites that wreak havoc such as you state, IME.

Gnome gave a good link for more deatils, and I also highly recommend looking through the various 'articles' at www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm - especially the 2 'beginners' articles and go from there as needed.

Pics would be super-beneficial here, of course ;)

Alex

shale366
Newly Registered

I live in an apartment cant leave it outside. I have a plant light on it already don't know what kind of juniper it is or its living conditions before we got it

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shale366,
I live in an apartment cant leave it outside.
I'm afraid that Juniper is a poor candidate for indoor culture though some growers do attempt it.

A dormant/rest period must be artificially provided or the tree will certainly fail eventually. Lighting is another big issue with Junipers indoors. Sophisticated, read expensive, lighting is a big plus. I use fluorescents for my tender plants over the winter but this is more of a maintenance situation until I can get them back outside where they really shine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Perhaps you would consider a nice tropical of some sort, something that would at least have a fighting chance inside. What type of lighting do you have now?

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/indoors.htm[/url]

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

A juniper in an apartment can be a problem, I'm assuming the temperatures have already dipped so, hardening your tree might be a bit of a problem.

In the future if you could find a ledge to put the tree on or a close roof top.

Anyway, to harden a plant off you leave it outside during the day and take it in during the night for a week or so and then move it outside. If temperatures are already to low, this could shock the tree as Gnome as suggested though.

A window sill is a death trap for a tree because the changes in temperature from day to night can be drastic and shock the tree as well.

Really, I would suggest getting a tree that suits the climate of your apartment. Though really, bonsai should be kept outside.

A ficus might do okay in your apartment, with the grow light.

shale366
Newly Registered

so you are saying this is hopeless I would really like to save this tree it wasn't cheap it was a wonderful gift I need to make this work this plant needs to sleep what about putting it in the frige in this town these plants are not easy to come by they are costly someone yell me hoe to save this tree please

webmaster
Site Admin

Hey guys, would it work if she put it on the roof of her apartment building or a fire escape stoop?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shale366,
so you are saying this is hopeless
Not 100% hopeless but nearly so, especially for a novice. It may struggle on for a while but will most likely decline slowly. This is why you should always research such a purchase first. We all kill trees it is part of the learning curve that comes with bonsai and I'm afraid that this might be one of your early losses.

Yes some do try to keep them in refrigerators, I have no idea how large your tree is or how committed you are to trying this. Do you have a friend or relative who could board the tree for you until spring? Even then, once the dormancy issues are past, you will struggle to provide adequate lighting inside unless you make at least a modest investment in lighting.
Hey guys, would it work if she put it on the roof of her apartment building or a fire escape stoop?
Sure, if she has access to a space like that. Also some people do not trust such community spaces. But it would be a lot simpler than using refrigeration.

I have to go now but I'll stop back later.

Norm

EDIT: This may help.
[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm[/url]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”