seanabc

Do Dragon Fruit work as bonsai?

[img]https://bonsai3.net/images/dragonfruit.jpg[/img]

I saw a Dragon Fruit in the supermarket for the first time today. Straight away I wanted to try growing the seeds. The fruits are just so unusual looking.

I tried googling for info about it but I couldn't find much, although there was a picture of a bonsai pitaya on the Wikipedia page about the fruit.

Seemingly they grow pretty easily from seeds, although it takes a while.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and if they are suitable for bonsai?

seanabc

It was this picture of pitahaya growing in pots in Thailand that got me interested in the idea. I could just picture one of these in a corner of the room growing those strange fruit and blooming at night!

[img]https://wchow.home.znet.com/DG2005/pitahaya.jpg[/img]

alexinoklahoma

Yep - its a climbing cactus, and the long green 'things' are the leaves :O Never work as a 'bonsai', IMO - there's lots of pics of them climbing indoor-pillars and such, but always with huge windows nearby for sun-energy. Your pic's plant is supported by at least one 'beam' central to entire plant.

There's dozens of 'varieties', fwiw, with rather interesting names, too. Send me a PM if you wanna see one varietal 'name' in particular that certain folks might find offensive ;) Serious...express an interest and I'm all over it for ya ;)

Alex

seanabc

Thanks Alex,
I couldn't make out the pic too clearly to establish if it was standing under its own power or not. I'm after planting the seeds now so I'll have to work out what to do with them if they grow!

I'm after growing some orange seedlings from pips out of an orange I bought in a supermarket so I'm kind of bouyed up by that success at the moment.

Regarding that varietal name.. . it's tempting! Ah, go on then. Tell me!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”