JohanBiggs
Newly Registered

Acacia erubescens (Bluethorn)

Bonsai.JPG
Hi Guys

I am new to Bonsai and have acquired an Acacia Erubescens which is looking beautiful and have developed quite a bit already (its from 2008). It looks strong and healthy and has a lot of new little branches and new leaves. But that was the nursery. I want to know..

1. I understand that it needs full sun. I live in Johannesburg South Africa and need to know that this is true, Full sun without any covering or shadenets? I don't want it to burn to death. The days have been 32 degrees Celsius of late.

I also understand that I need to water it twice per day.

How do I know that it is thriving where I put it. I have the choice of putting it inside with full morning sun through a window. Or outside in full sun all day.

Please give me some beginner advice....

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JohanBiggs,

Hello and welcome. Unfortunately I cannot help with specifics for this particular plant. In general, outside is almost always your best bet. There are exceptions of course, such as tender plants during cold periods or shade lovers in harsh environments. Perhaps you can inquire at the nursery where it was purchased.

Watering is not done to a schedule but as necessary, which may or may not be required. Many factors will determine watering frequency. This is something you must determine yourself.
One method is to insert a kitchen skewer or chopstick to the bottom of the pot and leave it there. Take it out daily to check it; if the skewer has soil stuck to it don't water. Touch the wood to your cheek or underside of your wrist, if it is damp there is no need to water. This method is particularly useful for trees that are in heavier organic/peat based soils. It becomes less effective when proper bonsai soils are used. After a while you will get used to the requirements of your particular trees. You will find that temperate trees will need less water in late fall and winter than they will in spring or summer.
When you do water, do so thoroughly.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Acacia is a tree of warm countries - it is native in Africa, So America, Mexico, Australia. It does like full sun and warmth. If it hasn't been in full sun, I would start it in a spot with some shade and gradually increase the exposure.

JohanBiggs
Newly Registered

Bonsai Location 2.JPG
Bonsai Location 1.JPG
Thanks Guys

I spoke to the Nursery and they confirmed that it likes full direct sunlight. Gave me a brochure that states that at the very least it needs 4 hours of direct sunlight per day but does not mind more than that.

I have placed it outside where it will have direct sunlight from about 09h00 till about 16h00 per day in the summer. I think it will do good and thrive there. It is also somewhat protected from excessive wind and so forth by other plants. Attached see the location with pictures I took at 06h00 this morning.

Thanks for all the assistance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice display, sitting on the stump like that!

JohanBiggs
Newly Registered

I went to a Bonsai enthusiast near my house where they also have bonsai for sale and grow them large scale. The owner sat me down with my tree and discussed everything I need to know and could possibly hope for. Gave me the right plant feed, gave me 2 manuals and a free plant and asked me to come back regularly to discuss progress and help with pruning and so forth. Thanks guys for your help as well. My plant is now being cared for with the advice of experts and I am sure it will excel and grow like crazy. Looking forward to the trip with it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful! The inter-web is a great tool, but I always recommend to people that they find an actual human being (or beings!) in their own locality to talk to and learn from/ share ideas with. Your new bonsai friend/ mentor not only has bonsai expertise, he knows your climate and how plants respond to it, something none of us can....

:clap: :clap:

But we would love it if you would come back now and then and show us the progress! :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”