Jwoo
Newly Registered

Pruning mountain laurel for bonsai

I've read a good bit about pruning and repotting but am still confused about the right time to shape and repot this tree.
This tree has responded well to pruning by back budding vigorously. I would like to trim it severely and transfer it to a bonsai pot with a more acidic sole. Can I do this now or should I wait until spring?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I might wait till spring. Spend this time getting the right soil for your tree. Repot early-spring and grow some more new buds. Then start to prune back to second leaf.

Jwoo
Newly Registered

Thanks so much.
Would you suggest waiting perhaps another year before cutting down to bonsai scale?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If this was my tree I would repot and trim soil ball, using very fast draining soil spring of 2016. Start to encourage repeat leaves (smaller) 2017. Depending on well it back budded I would reduce the whole crown, leaving a terminal leaf on each branch 2018.

Jwoo
Newly Registered

So grateful for the help.
Just researched terminal leaf. It may take me a year to understand the nuances of that and how it relates to my evergreen. :)
I bought some Kanuma small for that purpose.
Would you also recommend similar large, plus gravel?
Again thanks.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I never use kanuma or any of the subsoils.

1/2 granite grit, 1/2 sifted pine bark mulch only for me.

Mt laurel is deciduous.

Jwoo
Newly Registered

Well now I feel dumb.
I assumed remembering the leaves covered in snow here in the southern Appalachians.
Big help. Thanks so much

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sorry, tom, but kalmia is native where I used to live and where I live now and it is evergreen.

Kalmia latifolia, commonly called mountain-laurel, is an evergreen shrub growing to 3–9 m tall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmia_latifolia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”