jdm_jib
Newly Registered

HELP: identifying my bonsai

Hi everyone,

I have recently been bought a bonsai tree by my girlfriend as a bit of a treat because ive not been very well. I owned a bonsai last year but sadly became ill and died around 7 months after.

I know the basics of caring for bonsai's by my past experiances and by reading lots of forums and help pages off the internet but by no meens an expert.

id like to find out what type of tree I have so I can then address how best to position it and water it. It looks very similar to a sageretia theezans from looking on the internet but also looks like a few others.

the only thing I know about this type are that its supposed to be kept at room temperature (15-24 degrees), so I'm guessing its an indoor tree.

any help and info on this tree and how best to care for it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

my tree...

[img]https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jdmjib/bonsairesized.jpg[/img]

alexinoklahoma

Not sure of species, but the leaves don't seem to have the 'crenulations' from mid-vein outwards like pics I am finding. However, pics could be closer for leaf 'texture ID' ;)

How do you know to keep 'at room temp'?? A tag? From a reputable dealer? Curious on that part as it is not very often that 'a tag' is accurate in any manner. Saying such ensures it'll be bought by anyone as it would appear it could be kept indoors, etc - refunds not given ;) I don't trust tags myself unless they are in Brent Walston's personal handwriting, hehehe... Some folks always say 'serissa' - is that one possible?

At first glimpse of that plant, I thought 'boxwood', but not sure at all. Its definitely a species that doesn't ramify well, or someone had no clue about that; one or the other for sure... those internodes aren't anything to write home about at this time, but it is a nice plant, don't get me wrong, guy :) hope you're better soon, and fwiw, neither my girl-friends (nor my wife) has ever bought me a bonsai :(

Alex

bmbeyond

can't tell for sure from the pic but it looks like a Ligustrum to me. :wink:

arboricola

looks like a fukien tea to me. Not sure . Can't get a good look at leaves.

If so, indoors is fine and it looks good.

Phil...

ynot
Greener Thumb

JDM,

Welcome 8).

I am leaning towards Fukien Tea [Carmona Microphylla] myself, It is a bit hard to tell though.

I have a quick question for you; Are the surfaces of the leaves a bit scratchy? [Sort of like a cats tongue.]

If so, You definitely have a fukien on your hands.

If you can let us know about that we can go from there.

ynot

jdm_jib
Newly Registered

hi, thanks to all for replys.

I'm not too sure what you meen by scratchy, the leaves are kind of wavey which I think you can tell from the pic and they are not shinny but nice a vibrant green, the leaves do show the veins in them running from the centre outwards.

does this help any? if not I could try get a better pic of the leaves

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jdm_jib,
I'm not too sure what you meen by scratchy,
By scratchy he means pubescent (there's a word you don't get to use much) or covered with small hairy structures. Also the leaves are sort of "notched" at the ends.

[img]https://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/816/25105216.JPG[/img]

Norm

jdm_jib
Newly Registered

hi, thanks for that. no the leaves don't have either notches or have any hairs.

just taken this picture which hopefully should clear things up.

[img]https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/jdmjib/editleaves.jpg[/img]

thanks.

bmbeyond

The latest pic solidified my vote for ligustrum (or privet) after seeing the leaves closer. :D

Check out this link. https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ligustrum.html

ynot
Greener Thumb

bmbeyond wrote:The latest pic solidified my vote for ligustrum (or privet) after seeing the leaves closer. :D
You may be right bmb 8), The leaves look right..

Jdm, Do the leaves come out in opposite pairs? [This means one pair of leaves is aligned vertically on the branch and the next are horizontal {90 degrees opposed}.]

I think they do but again it is not easy to tell from the picture.

ynot

jdm_jib
Newly Registered

I think they do yes, hard to tell because the stems are not very long but they seem to grow horizontally and the next ones following it vertically.

so its a privit then.

by looking at that link provided its a Ligustrum ovalifolium.

liking the fact it says its very forgiving.

although it says to re-pot every year, is this really necissary? ive spoken to many bonsai growers before who tell me you only need to pot on ever 2-3 years.

ynot
Greener Thumb

jdm_jib wrote:I think they do yes, hard to tell because the stems are not very long but they seem to grow horizontally and the next ones following it vertically.
Ok, The recent pruning did us no favors for ID ;).
so its a privit then.
Yep, It looks that way.

although it says to re-pot every year, is this really necissary? ive spoken to many bonsai growers before who tell me you only need to pot on ever 2-3 years.
Like much in bonsai this is one of those 'As required' type issues. It has very little to do with the amount of time that has passed and everything to do with the specific plants requirements...IOW 'Does it need it'?

ynot

Edited to fix quotes
Last edited by ynot on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexinoklahoma

Repotting can depend mostly on pot size, and pot size should go with the size of the plant :) Usually, its around once a year, Spring being most common for most species (twice if VERY vigorous, like a willow, per se).

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overpot.htm

That link says a LOT about the need to keep pot-size in proportion to the rootball/plant-size :) The plant can *tolerate* less-frquent repotting (as in every 2-3 years, but why do so? If you want good/max growth/health, repot - if you care not, repot not ;)

And, yes, with that pic, its definitely a privet...I was kinda thinking that on first pic, but it just did not have 'the look' I see of leaves usually, so I did not even mention (grrrr, shoulda known that one!). Fwiw, its kinda hard to ramify them tightly - keep the nitrogen at the low-limits to keep it from extending waaaay out there in internode length (!!!). Been there/done that, trust me.

<Is it just me or does it seem like *everyone* is around today?!>

Alex

jdm_jib
Newly Registered

how can you tell if the plant has outgrown the pot without removing it and viewing the roots as surely this does the plant no favours?!?

is there some rule for this by looking at the size of the plant?

also what type of soil is supposed to be used when re-potting?can you buy special bonsai mix soil?

also I was thinking about putting a bucket out to collect rainwater for the plant, will this be advantagous over tap water?

ynot
Greener Thumb

jdm_jib wrote:how can you tell if the plant has outgrown the pot without removing it and viewing the roots as surely this does the plant no favours?!?
Removing the plant from the pot is no big deal but I think it is important to clarify something.

We are not suggesting a repot due to growth that has become constrictive [IE: When the roots have colonized the entire volume of the pot.]

Rather we are suggesting that the current soil is inappropriate and could be improved substantially. This will require some research by you wrt the properties of proper bonsai soil so that you understand fully what to look for.

is there some rule for this by looking at the size of the plant?
No
also what type of soil is supposed to be used when re-potting?
This question can be answered [Or more accurately - It will lead you to more questions..:razz:;):lol:] by reading the stickys on soil at the top of the forum as well as at the links on soil [Amongst others] in the 'Articles section' of both bonsai4me & evergreengardenworks [Links to both sites are already posted in this thread thanks to Alex & BM.
can you buy special bonsai mix soil?
Absolutely, Though it is important to understand the benefits/reasons behind the use of proper bonsai soil.
also I was thinking about putting a bucket out to collect rainwater for the plant, will this be advantagous over tap water?
Rainwater is good [It's what trees drink in nature 8)] It is not a requirement by any means though.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”