johnnyfoofee
Newly Registered

hawallian umbrella in a rock pot

hello,
I'm new at this and would like some help as to the hawallian umbrella I just rec'd,4 days ago
seems the leaves are turning yellow and falling off?! it gets sun,but I hav yet to give it a real watering as I just got thru fed-x
any ideas as to what I can do .

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

johnnyfoofee,

Welcome to the site. I don't grow this species so I will speak in generalities. The plant may simply be stressed due to its recent journey. You mention that you have a spot for it, good. Refrain from moving it about, plants are by their nature rather sedentary. :wink:

Don't try to overcompensate with excessive watering or fertilization, in fact no fertilizer at all for now. It is my understanding that this plant can make do with low light but can handle more intense light as well so from your statement that "it gets sun" I don't think that is the issue. Try to make a humidity tray (search the site if you are unfamiliar with this term) our homes are very dry during the winter. It is inside, right?

Search the site, don't forget to try schefflera and scheff. Here is little information that might help.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Schefflera.html[/url]

[url]https://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/flowers/schfflra.htm[/url]

Other than that I don't have a whole lot, I'm sure some others (Arboricola where are you?) will come along and add to this. Good luck.

Norm

arboricola

Hello and welcome;

I wouldn't be too concerned with a few leaves dropping. The plant has been in a box for a few days and has been stressed. If you havn't watered it yet, give it a good watering and check the soil daily. Do not let it dry out. You might want to get it out of the sun for a few days, as they don't really need sun, just bright light. The tree will take a week or so to adjust to it's new home. As with all newly purchased trees, no fert. for 2-3 weeks. As Gnome said, don't overcompenate. In other words, be patient and let the tree do it's thing. They adjust quite well to low humidity, but a tray or even a small bowl of water set by the tree will help. Good luck, be patient and keep us posted.

Phil...

johnnyfoofee
Newly Registered

gnome & arboricola , thanks very much to both of u.this is a great site .

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Also, if you have your tree indoors, don't put it on a window sill. These are death traps for plants of all description. Also, try using organic fertilizers like compost which will feed your tree over the long term instead of giving the tree a sudden jolt of water soluble nutrients and then starving it.

Some more soluble organic fertilzers include: Liquid Seaweed Fertilzer
Liquid Fish Fertlizer
(apply outside)
Compost Tea (sometimes
available in nursaries)

kenb
Cool Member

here is my 2 cents (which isn't worth even that) :lol: !

try to contact the seller and see what the conditions were like where you purchased the tree from. If the seller lived in the south or the south west it might have been extremely warm. you are in a suburb of chicago like I am and as you know our weather has been extremely cold at night and 50 during the day. that might be a huge issue for the tree as well!

good luck and welcome to the site :wink:

Ken

alexinoklahoma

Window sills are generally bad in winter from 'drafts' but otherwise are fine, IME. It *is* better to set things back a few few inches from sill at least to prevent 'drafting' of cold air upon things, for sure. Illinois sure does fit this are-of-concern ;)

Ferts are a 'hot-topic', for sure. Improper use of any fert is bad, especially with composted things. 'Fresh' compost (such as manure-based ones) can burn roots *very* easily, but 'seasoned' compost lightly applied is great and gives slow release - but often gives mostly-nitrogenous 'enhancement' if using compost as generally supplied by commercial nurseries/stores selling bags/bulk. Many other 'nutrients' are needed beyond what many commercial composts can provide. Using several sources of ferts variously is best, no doubt. Too much too often of dissolvable ferts is horrid, and leads to many issues, especially when soil is 'thick and retentive' which retains the 'salts' of how the ferts are manufactured. Better to use not-enough than to use too much, fwiw. And do not add fert 'just because' or because it was assumed that plant needed it - likely one of the leading causes of plant problems, IME. If plant is not growing (dormant, per se) and using up nutrients, it does not need to have such, if that makes sense.

Fish emulsion(s) are *great* but can stink badly, however a few 'brands' are available that are not as smelly. I forget which ones are indoors-usable (sorry).

Regular use of proper-strength ferts does not give a sudden jolt and then 'starvation' as described, not at all. The nutrients are retained somewhat by the media in soil-mix (if proper mix is used, of course), and taken up as needed by roots ;)

Just wanted to clarify a bit more,
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”