capt kirk
Newly Registered

New to Bonsai- Also having leaf problems

I've read through several of the forums now, and I still can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I have a Chinese Pepper (Zanthoxylum) and about 3 days ago the leaves started getting some white spots on them and then turning some darker colors and then they're falling off in full force now. I'm trying to find the cord for my camera so I can post pictures, but I think I left it at work. I can post pics on Monday, but by then it may be too late. I have had the tree since August with no problems, but it's starting to get cold here in Arkansas, so I've pulled the tree indoors. Any suggestions? Should I keep it out even with it being cold?

Thanks for any help!

arboricola

Capt;

Keep your tree indoors. This species does not like cold. Anything under 50 degrees is not good. Keep the humidity around the tree as high as you can get it (humidity tray). It doesn't like dry heat either. Hold back on the water and keep us posted. Good luck.

Phil...

capt kirk
Newly Registered

Phil,

I'll give it a shot. Thanks! Oh, where might I find a humidity tray or what can I do to improvise until I can find one?

CK

arboricola

Capt;

Use any shallow dish that holds water. Don't set the pot in the water. Use whatever you can find to put under the feet to keep the pot just above the water. You can also set a small bowl of water near the tree. Keep the tree away from hot air vents and give it lots of light.

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

capt kirk,

How recently did you move it indoors and did the problem coincide with the move? Or perhaps was it left out a little too late? At any rate keep a close eye on your watering, a stressed tree with less foliage will not use the same amount of water as a healthy one. On the other hand the indoor environment is probably a lot drier. Just be careful is all, don't try to overcompensate with excessive watering.

Might I suggest placing gravel in the bottom of the humidity tray? This will not only raise the pot above the level of the water, which is a necessity, but the larger surface area of the gravel will increase evaporation. Also be aware that the larger the humidity tray the greater the effect will be. A humidity tray that is only a little larger than the pot will not give the desired result.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

I also think this species reacts rather badly if soil is allowed to dry whatsoever. Double-check that, but did soil go dry for *any* length of time??

And are you able to rub off any whitish 'powder'? Could you powdery mildew maybe? Just guessing here :)

Alex

capt kirk
Newly Registered

@ Gnome:
I had the tree outside for most of September and October. Right at the end of October I pulled it inside cause it started getting cold(er). I'm worried that it may not have gotten enough water and was left outside during the cold. I had a surgery that knocked me down for a few days right and I pulled the tree in as I came home from the hospital like the 28th of October
I also put gravel in the bottom of the tray. The tray itself is about 3 inches larger than the pot on all sides.

@ Alex:
It may have gone dry while I was in the hospital, but I try to keep it damp at all times. Not sopping wet, mind you, but where the soil at least has some moisture in it.
Also, the white powder does wipe off, but it has to be done very gently or the leaves come with it.

Thanks guys for your help so far!
-Chris

alexinoklahoma

Go to images.google.com and search 'powdery mildew' - see if it looks like what is upon your leaves. Could be a proximate cause there ;) A plant weakened (as from weak from injured roots from dried-soil (?)) is much more susceptible to such 'disease' - but easily cured with appropriate 'chemical'...

Also, google the species and find other Forums (or this one, of course) for care 'postings' and soil issue(s) as I am pretty sure that dry soil can be/cause a *serious* issue with zanthoxylum. If so, and you think it may, or probably, have gone dry, you may be fighing a lost cause, but do not 'trust me' on this - not the best of memory, and never kept this species anyways. However, iirr, not good news from any of the posters on soil going dry for a period of time. Not difficult to find the links I found that day, fwiw.

Sorry 'bout your surgery - been there, done that, and Life not same since in a big way :( But its rather nice to feel my legs again, LOL!

HTH,
Alex

capt kirk
Newly Registered

Thanks Alex, I'll check google and see what I can find. The humidity tray seems to be helping some. The leaves don't appear to be falling off at near the rate they were previously. I really wish I could find my camera cable so I could show you guys a picture.

Is there a way to check the soil and know if it got dried out or do I just have to assume that is what happened?

-Chris

alexinoklahoma

You'll never know 'for sure' probably as only way to tell is if soil was *found* dusty dry - but if you find that it *is* a species which hates drying out, and there's a high-% chance it happened (did *you* find it really dry or someone else take care of it??), then its that most likely if all other things are/were 'within spec'... Unless you find that 'disease' is hitting the plant worse than it first appeared. And if humidity tray is really helping, that puts another checkmark in the proper column of 'boxes' ;) And it also coulda been a combo of all of the above in small-doses equalling a big-hit upon plant and its livelihood.

In the end, IMO, it really doesn't matter what happened, bluntly stated, right? -> as long as proper 'first aid' is used to get it back on its feet :) And that you don't let it happen again, hehehe

I can't count the number of times I have misplaced some tiny thing (like a camera cable) and thought of that saying"My kingdom for a horse!", LOL...or "so close, yet so far..." No probs there, guy :)

Good to hear its on the mend (apparently),
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”