Karine
Newly Registered

HELP! My Japanese pepper bonsai tree is dying

hi,

I bought a Japanese pepper bonsai tree 2 months ago, research how to take care of it and follow the simple instruction, water it when the soil feels dried, place it in a well lighted window, and spay its little leaves often. But few weeks ago it started to lose a lot of leaves, which would become yellow and fall, it also looks very poorly and deflated.

I've attached a couple of pictures, can anyone help!?

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Karine,

The soil you have shown is dense and will not drain well. This type of soil is hard to evaluate, the top may seem dry while the depths of the pot may be wet; or the other way around. Use the chopstick method to determine when to water.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Where are you located?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 36&t=21636

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

Karine wrote:hi,

I bought a Japanese pepper bonsai tree 2 months ago, research how to take care of it and follow the simple instruction, water it when the soil feels dried, place it in a well lighted window, and spay its little leaves often. But few weeks ago it started to lose a lot of leaves, which would become yellow and fall, it also looks very poorly and deflated.

I've attached a couple of pictures, can anyone help!?

Thanks in advance.
image.jpg

Good afternoon OP,

First off congrats on your tree. Yellowing of leaves is usually a symptom of a couple of things, over watering, lack of watering, lack of nitrogen, the list goes on and on. I believe your yellowing and "deflated" look could be attributed to lack of light and/or either over or under watering. I don't see and shoot elongation so I'm not even sure lighting is playing a big part here. Normally the soil that these trees are shipped in are poor draining soil. If you held the water till dry it is possible that the soil has dried out too much and become impermeable to water, this is common with soils high in peat. I recommend moving your tree outside in a shady area and gradually move it into a location with more sun so that it may take advantage of higher CO2 and light levels.

Also you can use the submersion technique (for watering) to ensure you are hitting every square inch of that pot. Once your tree has recovered you can bring it inside from time to time but you will always need to bring back outside so it can regain vigor.

Don't forget to fertilize a timed released fertilizer stacked with a monthly water soluble fertilizer will suffice. If you want to get fancy you can fertilize at every watering with a very weak solution. I don't recommend this but I'm sure others will disagree. And as always have fun and enjoy your little tree!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

-Jonathan

Karine
Newly Registered

Hello,

Thank you so much for you reply! I live in england in Manchester, so I'm a little worried about putting my tree outside. I think you are both right when saying the soil is very dense it's hard for me to tell when it needs watering, I've received some bonsai fertiliser today so I've diluted the right amount and fed the solution to tree, we will see if it makes a little difference, I've also ordered some bonsai soil that I should get this week, however I'm a little worried as I don't really know how to repot my tree, any advice ?

I've attached another pic of the tree, I think it looks a little better :)

Thanks again,
Karine
image.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Karine,

We have a thread demonstrating the re-potting process, albeit on another species.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3423

The real dilemma is when to act. A case could be made that getting it in a proper bonsai soil is a priority. It is also possible that an ill-timed repotting can make matters worse. This is a species I have never even seen in person so can't offer specifics.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”