CrusherCLK
Newly Registered

Do you know what type of Bonsai tree I have?

Greetings! My kids brought me home a bonsai tree from the Del Mar Faire on the Fourth of July. :D unfortunately they brought hope no info on type and very little details on care. I was hoping I could share a photo. The trunk is thin and leaves are green with white edges. This tree even had a few small white flowers.
I've done a little research last week when I noticed webs appearing on leaves. A few sites recommended washing leaves since it sounded like spider mites. O:) . I tried my best to use room temp water an pour over entire tree( as it was tilted to the side to drain water off). Tree looked great and seemed happy for two days. I placed it in a window to receive more/ longer period of sunshine. Cracked the window to give slight air circulation.
Today I'm noticing that approx. 6 of the branches are starting to droop :? All flowers are dropped and when I touch certain branches some of the leaves fall off. How badly have I hurt this little tree? :oops: I really would like to keep it! Thank you for your time. CLK

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tree does sound like it is suffering. Yes, you really need to post a few pics for ID of the tree and of the problems.

That is very easy to do here. Use the Post Reply button on the left (NOT the Quick Reply). Below the typing box is a grey box that says Upload Attachment. Click that and it will give you a Choose File button. Use that to browse your computer and find the photo. Select one and click Open. Then click the green Add the File button. Then it will show the name of the picture file you have chosen. Put your cursor where you want the picture to be and click the green Place in Line button.

It is more complicated to describe than to do! :)

From your description I'm guessing your bonsai is Snow rose (Serissa foetida)

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/images/spec ... oetida.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

CKozminski,

You have not described your watering practice. Read this:
Watering:

How to water a bonsai tree: Improper watering is probably the largest cause of problems with bonsai, in Japan it is said that it takes years to learn to properly water bonsai. First of all don't water your tree(s) on a schedule, check your trees everyday and only water as necessary. Dig into the soil with your finger (the deeper the better without scratching up the roots too much) and test to see if the soil is damp.

Another method is to insert a kitchen skewer or chopstick to the bottom of the pot and leave it there. Take it out daily to check it; if the skewer has soil stuck to it don't water. Touch the wood to your cheek or underside of your wrist, if it is damp there is no need to water. This method is particularly useful for trees that are in heavier organic/peat based soils. It becomes less effective when proper bonsai soils are used. After a while you will get used to the requirements of your particular trees. You will find that temperate trees will need less water in late fall and winter than they will in spring or summer.

Okay, if the tree needs watering, water using a watering can that has a fine rose so as not to disturb the soil. There is an old saying that for bonsai it always rains twice, meaning that a single watering is not sufficient to thoroughly wet the soil. Water the entire surface of your tree until the water drains freely from the bottom of the pot, wait for about 10-15 minutes and repeat. Some even recommend a third watering, and if you have the time and are so inclined it certainly will not hurt. You will never over water your trees in this way. Correct watering is not about the quantity of water used but the frequency with which it is applied. The goal of watering is to completely saturate the soil each time you water, repeating only as necessary. A little water often is the wrong approach.
The skewer of chopstick is a really good idea for beginners.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Can't I.d. the plant, but the webbing is most definitely Spider Mites. Best protocol is to first gently wash the foliage with plain water & allow to dry. Then apply an organic insecticidal spray (I like the Safer brand) as best you can to both top & bottom leaves. Wait a week or two, then repeat. It may take another one or two rituals before the little devils are vanquished.

CrusherCLK
Newly Registered

Sad snow tree
Sad snow tree
Thank you for the responses. Yes my tree is a snow rose and that is how good she looked when I got her ( ok I guess the tree is a she to me)
At this moment I just have a toothpick rather then a skewer. The soil felt hard as I pushed it into container.There was very little soil sticking to it/ but some. I'll look agian later today then try suggested method in article ( not sure just Yet what the fine rose is....)
As far as the spider mite issue. Do you think it's best to wait till I see webs once agian? Honestly I really didn't see any in soil or on leaves , tried to look on white paper and with small magnifier. I had read of a method that made a potion of water, dish soap and alcohol. Have any of you tried this with any success?
Thank you for your time CLK
Attachments
Temp watering testing tool
Temp watering testing tool
image.jpg

CrusherCLK
Newly Registered

Jeez sorry about sideways photos. I thank you for any tech tips as well. Haha

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: "a potion of water, dish soap and alcohol. "

Dish soap is detergent and should not be used on plants; it can burn them. You can use true soap, which is things like Dr. Brunner's, Murphy's Oil Soap, some Ivory products. I don't know about the rubbing alcohol. Some people swear by it (diluted at least 1:1) and other people say it kills plants. I have never tried it, so have no personal experience.

Lots of people use water, a LITTLE bit of true soap, and a little bit of salad oil as a soap spray against soft bodied insects, like aphids, mites, mealybugs etc.

Hot dry conditions and and dusty leaves favor spider mites. Daily misting is good for your tree and helps control the mites.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

No offence intended - but I still say that you're safest using a commercial organic spray product instead of fiddling around with homemade concoctions. Especially with a small confined plant like a bonsai.

CrusherCLK
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for advice and feedback. CLK

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”