artisanoo

rooting ficus nerifolia/salicifolia/willow leaf cuttings

hey - I just got 3 cuttings from a willow leaf ficus, which makes me happy because I have always wanted one (or 3).

I have them in bonsai soil now, and I had put some rooting powder on them (thuogh I don't know if they needed it, as I am under the impression that ficus root pretty easily).
this was a week ago - I am just wondering how long it takes (generally) for these types of cuttings to grow roots? I want to know so that I know how long to wait until I can assume they wont take (if they havent already)

ynot
Greener Thumb

artisanoo wrote:
I have them in bonsai soil now, and I had put some rooting powder on them (thuogh I don't know if they needed it, as I am under the impression that ficus root pretty easily).
For Ficus, [I don't start them in soil so I have no time frame to offer you] I usually just set them in a sunny spot in a glass [or an old canning jar] with an inch of water [changed every other day] until I have 1 or 2" of white feeder roots going - Then I transplant them into soil.

I find it is easier to tell when they have decent root development this way as I can actually see it as opposed to all the tugging/guessing/waiting for new leaf development that is required with cuttings in soil.
this was a week ago - I am just wondering how long it takes (generally) for these types of cuttings to grow roots? I want to know so that I know how long to wait until I can assume they wont take (if they havent already)
Dependant on conditions [Light, Temp, Humididty, Ect] it will be about 3 to 6 weeks before they are suitable for transplant.

If you see new leaf growth, You can assume they are taking. 8)

IME ficus root quite easily with or without hormone.

Good luck

ynot

artisanoo

thats good info -
I was skeptical about using water because I wasn't sure if it would rot. (maybe I should have asked first :) )
but I'm happy to see that you say it should take several weeks - in that case I'm not worried yet :)

alexinoklahoma

I concur 100% - Ficus is really easy in-water; just be careful with the new roots when putting into its new pot. They can be a tad brittle - but no worries. Its easy :) Do NOT overfertilize it, either. A common mistake is why I am reminding....

Enjoy!
Alex

ynot
Greener Thumb

alexinoklahoma wrote:... just be careful with the new roots when putting into its new pot. They can be a tad brittle - but no worries. Its easy :)
Yep, Be gentle. :D
Do NOT overfertilize it, either. A common mistake is why I am reminding....
Good point, I don't fert them at all in fact until a month or so after they are transplanted.

ynot

artisanoo

I havent fertilized at all atcually yet - I thought you werent supposed to until it is becoming established on its roots

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”