jscot77
Newly Registered

Dead Bonsai That Rose From the Ashes!

Hey everyone! I bought a Mount Fuji Serissa for my boyfriend a little over a year ago, and it has been through hell. It traveled too much and was watered way too much. Since then it "died". However, a week or two after it shed its last leaf, a new sprout came out of the roots! Over the past 2 months this sprout has grown a lot and it is now about 6-7 inches tall with lots of leaves. I'm extremely happy that it came back to life, but I have no idea what to do in regards to pruning and training. I've scoured google and I haven't been able to get much help. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know!!

Thanks!

p.s. I'm attaching three photos. They are from when I got him, when the new spout popped up, and now.
Attachments
about a month ago.
about a month ago.
now!
now!
This is him a year ago...
This is him a year ago...

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Well, that proves that the roots are still alive, but that's about it. What you have there is simply a sucker, & I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do as far as bonsai-training. Will be interested to hear what more experienced bonsai trainers have to say.

jscot77
Newly Registered

Aww that's sad! I was really hoping he'd come back! If anybody else has insight, I'd welcome it.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jscot77,

I saw your post yesterday and was trying to remember if the new shoot had arisen from the trunk or was simply a sucker. It would have been better if it had come from the trunk but all is not lost. Bonsai are grown from cuttings and seedlings but it will take some time and considerable skill to get back to where you were. Read this.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”