mraw435
Newly Registered

White mold on soil and browning leaves.

I was curious as to whether its possible to save my bonsai when there is white mold on the soil and the leaves are browning.

I looked it up and I realized I was probably watering it too much (every 2 days rather than checking the soil). I havent watered it for 3 days now and check,the soil on a daily basis. To water it I fill the tray it sits on.

I was wondering the best way to revive it.

mraw435
Newly Registered

pictures
Attachments
bonsai2.jpg
bonsai 1.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You were right that you were watering too often (the mold is a sign) and that you want to water a bonsai when it needs it, not on a schedule.

To start with, take all those rocks off. They are usually just there (especially if glued on) to keep the soil from falling out when the tree is being shipped. They cut down on air and water circulation and make it harder to know when your tree needs watering.

Next, because of the rocks, I can't tell what your soil is like. Bonsai trees should not be in soil that is very organic - soft and peat mossy, like potting soil. That holds water too much. You want bonsai soil, which is mostly mineral, very gritty, like fine gravel, with maybe some bark chips mixed in. You can order it on-line if you can't find it locally. I'm guessing you have the potting soil kind of stuff, because a mineral potting medium is much less likely to mold.

Usually re-potting is done in spring, but given the problems you are having, I would go ahead now and get it in to good bonsai soil, rinsing all the old stuff off the roots.

Finally, putting water in the tray is not a good way to water it. The tray was probably meant as a humidity tray. Put gravel or something in the tray so that the pot is OVER the water, but not in it/ not touching it. Then the rising water vapor from water in the tray helps provide a little extra humidity around the tree. When you water a bonsai, you always want to water it very thoroughly. So pour water through from the top until it runs out the drain holes. Let it drain for awhile and then do it again once or twice more. Occasionally let it sit in a sink full of water just up to the level of the top of the soil. Let it sit until it doesn't bubble any more and then let it drain. NEVER leave your bonsai sitting in a saucer of water.

Best wishes!

mraw435
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for the advice. I just have a few follow up questions and I will be on my way to reviving this bonsai!

attached are the pictures of the soil I am not sure if its the "right" if you can tell through these quick pictures. Before I start the repotting process and removing the rocks. I was wondering, can I get the correct soil at any nursery/store? there is not exactly bonsai specific stores in my area. Also, can I reuse the soil if its the correct kind or would it be safer getting new soil?

secondly, to be resourceful can I wash the rocks currently on it in hot water and then place them in the tray as you suggested for better watering?

third, should I cut off the brown leaves/let them fall off?

lastly, can you tell what kind of bonsai this is through the pictures?

thank you once again for the help and I will let you know how the reviving process goes and hopefully have some better pictures once it start getting green again!
Attachments
bonsai 2.jpg
bonsai 1.jpg

mraw435
Newly Registered

what online website would you best recommend to find material for this ?

imafan26
Mod

check out the previous posts on bonsai soil and repotting.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

From the picture, your soil is clearly potting soil type and too organic, not bonsai soil. I would have bet almost my bottom dollar on that anyway due to the mold problem.

You can check your local nurseries for bonsai soil, I don't know.

You could probably reuse the pebbles for the humidity tray IF that is enough to be sure the pot does not touch the water. But re " place them in the tray as you suggested for better watering" note that the humidity tray has nothing to do with watering the plant or the soil. It is just for putting a little extra humidity in the air around the tree. It is NOT watering.

Imafan is right, there is a ton of good info here already, it would help you to do some browsing in it. Check out the bonsai articles here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/

and the bonsai learning forum here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36

which contains this article about bonsai soil and repotting: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

I think your bonsai is a ficus ....

mraw435
Newly Registered

thank you very much for the insight..I will get on reading!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”