Sam I.
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm bonsai losing leaves

Hello all!

I've just become the proud owner of a beautiful Chinese Elm bonsai that traveled all the way from California to my home in the mountains of North Carolina. I'm very new to caring for a bonsai of any type, and I'm a bit worried about the yellowing leaves on my tree that fall off at the touch. I've been watering it a little bit in the evening as the pamphlet said, I pruned a little bit to get rid of some scraggly branches, I keep it in direct sunlight in the mornings and filtered light in the afternoon, I set it outside when it's warm, and I play music for it here and there. I'm not entirely sure if it's just in shock after traveling six days by mail (it was very nicely packaged, but I can imagine that would be traumatizing for any plant), or if there's something else that I'm doing wrong. I'm worried that the soil isn't draining properly, or if I'm watering it too much, but then again, I have no idea.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sam. I

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You will want to water only based on need and not by schedule. Stick a wooden chop-stick into soil, if it comes out dry water liberally. If the chop-stick comes out damp it does not need more water. There is a bonsai learning forum here with a FAQ. It may help you.

Sam I.
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice! I've sorta been doing that for the past few days, and making sure to mist it with water every now and then as well. After soaking it in fresh water for fifteen minutes and aerating the soil some, it's been doing much better. There've been no new yellow leaves for the past four days, I'm happy to report! I'll just be sure to keep a very close eye on it.

Thanks again!

Sam I.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Sam I. wrote: I keep it in direct sunlight in the mornings and filtered light in the afternoon, I set it outside when it's warm,
Elms live outdoors. They can visit indoors for a day or two per year, but remain temperate trees that need a cycle of humidity and breeze to prosper.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”