GreenBrain

Encouraging leaf growth and/or fruit maturity.

I currently have my 30cm Orange Bonsai in a south facing window. It gets good exposure to sunlight on most days. Although being in BC I have found that a supplemental light source is helpful, especially during the deluge we have been experiencing for the last week. I have a 60 watt equivalent CF grow light suspended on a 45 degree angle approx 40cm from my bonsai.
I first realized that my bonsai needed a supplemental light source when leaves began dropping on the inside-facing side of the tree.

In the summer it grew several flowers and produced 3 oranges, two have since dropped and the growth of the third seems to have stopped.

I was wondering if there was anything extra I should be doing to encourage fruit maturity and foliation on the indoor-facing side of the tree.

Also, I have noticed that the leaves of the tree seem to be 'sweating' a sticky substance and leaving a residue on my window. I have absolutely no idea why it is doing that, or what the residue is.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph G.

Pictures:
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/BreakfastLizard/Image002.jpg[/img][img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/BreakfastLizard/Image004.jpg[/img][img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/BreakfastLizard/Image003.jpg[/img][img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/BreakfastLizard/Image001.jpg[/img]

ynot
Greener Thumb

Joseph G, Welcome 8)
GreenBrain wrote:I currently have my 30cm Orange Bonsai in a south facing window. It gets good exposure to sunlight on most days. Although being in BC I have found that a supplemental light source is helpful, especially during the deluge we have been experiencing for the last week.
I have a 60 watt equivalent CF grow light suspended on a 45 degree angle approx 40cm from my bonsai.
FYI: 'Watts' are only indicitive of the amount of power that a specific bulb uses, It is the lumens that are important as that measurment refers to the available light it puts out.
I first realized that my bonsai needed a supplemental light source when leaves began dropping on the inside-facing side of the tree.

Rotating your tree 90^ every other week will help to even out it's growth also.
In the summer it grew several flowers and produced 3 oranges, two have since dropped and the growth of the third seems to have stopped.

I was wondering if there was anything extra I should be doing to encourage fruit maturity and foliation on the indoor-facing side of the tree.
Production of fruit and flowers uses up a lot of the trees resources [Nutrients from the soil] that would otherwise be put towards foliage/branch development. Many experienced growers only let their fruiting/flowering trees 'do their thing' every other year [Or often less] A solid fert regimen is required to maintain the trees health if you intend to keep this up.
Also, I have noticed that the leaves of the tree seem to be 'sweating' a sticky substance and leaving a residue on my window. I have absolutely no idea why it is doing that, or what the residue is.
...? OTTOMH, No idea.

ynot

GreenBrain

Production of fruit and flowers uses up a lot of the trees resources [Nutrients from the soil] that would otherwise be put towards foliage/branch development. Many experienced growers only let their fruiting/flowering trees 'do their thing' every other year [Or often less] A solid fert regimen is required to maintain the trees health if you intend to keep this up.
What would be the best way of preventing the tree from producing fruit/flowers?
Rotating your tree 90^ every other week will help to even out it's growth also.
I don't know why I didn't think of doing that, I've been using that technique on an avocado I recently sprouted.

I'll keep looking for a theory about my sweating bonsai.

Thanks ynot.

ynot
Greener Thumb

GreenBrain wrote:
What would be the best way of preventing the tree from producing fruit/flowers?
There is no way to stop their production, But you can remove the flower/fruit buds before they mature.

'Nip it in the bud'... So to speak 8).
I'll keep looking for a theory about my sweating bonsai.
Yep, Research is everything. [Well, Almost ;) :lol:]
Thanks ynot.
Your welcome :D.

ynot

GreenBrain

I posted a new topic and got a few theories about my sweating bonsai. Hopefully I can combine their advice with yours and have a very healthy nice looking bonsai come springtime.

This forum is awesome.
Thanks.

alexinoklahoma

An example - I got a decently branched, smaller trade-gallon Meyer Lemon this Spring and put in a new pot an started adapting to full-sun. My wife wants lemons, so against my better wishes of foregoing *any* fruit (let it flower, then remove flower when fades, fwiw) for best establishment, I have allowed/encouraged it to develop 8 good-sized lemons. It has put out but three new leaves since repotting, but is healthy enough in all other ways, IMO. Gotta bring inside real soon (Fall thing), but it has been in *full sun* (sunup/sundown no shade) since bringing home. You'd think that that much sunshine would help it put forth new foliage. Nope - all energy has gone into 4 *fat* lemons and 4 avg ones. See what you're up against in getting 'new growth'? ;) My tree ain't gonna see any lemons for a few years after this (I so hope, or getting another tree, LOL)... or it will never be taller than two feet, LOL!

I am not certain of your exact orange species, but most citrus like a slightly-more acidic soil, and it gives better nutrient uptake as well usually. Just don't overdo it, etc... It wouldn't hurt anyting to rotate the tree even more than 180deg a month. My indoor stuff gets turned ~90 every few days or so - whenever I walk by and get the urge... Does make a big diff with energy upon all the foliage, for sure.

HTH,
Alex

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”