Jared1991

Need a little more advice.

Ok I took the advice that was given to me and did a lot more research. (Still reading forums every day and bought a book to get educated with) lol. Now I'm really excited to start my bonsai tree. And you all have been really helpful so thanks guys. With that said my friend had an oak seeding and a red maple sapling in his landscaping and decided to change it up so he was going to dig them up and burn them. I persuaded him to wait until I got advice on here first. Now I've heard that digging up a tree in summer is not the best move. Is this correct and if you all don't mind I was wondering why lol. Tried to google the answer but couldn't find one. Another thing I would like to save both the maple and the oak from flames and have pots waiting and ready that would fit the trees. So now for the questions lol. When he digs them up if I immediately transplant into pot do you all think they will make it. And I would not try to bonsai them this year because of the sudden move. And also how should I help the trees recover from the shock of moving to a pot. By the way these are regular medium size pots not bonsai pots. Any info again is greatly appreciated and sorry for asking stupid questions but I want to learn as much as possible and save both trees.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jared1991,

If you must dig them now go right from the ground to the pot. The pot should be sized to just accommodate the root-ball. Back fill with a similar soil perhaps amended with some actual bonsai soil if you have any. Water in well and place in a sheltered location.

Since you are doing research check out Evergreen Garden Works. Here is one article that might begin to answer some of your questions.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/growprin.htm

And one that addresses Red Maple.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/redmaple.htm

Jared1991

Thanks for input. Yeah he gave me till tomarrow to move them. I was just wanting to try and save them bc they look very healthy and I'm going to grow them a few years before I do anything with them bonsai wise.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jared1991,
I'm going to grow them a few years before I do anything with them bonsai wise.Thanks for input. Yeah he gave me till tomarrow to move them. I was just wanting to try and save them bc they look very healthy and I'm going to grow them a few years before I do anything with them bonsai wise.
If you have the luxury of time and space another option would be to grow them out in a bed rather than pots. You will get better growth that way but it will take a while for them to reestablish and another period to get any real growth. A temporary setback to achieve a better ultimate result.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”