artisanoo

miracid for ficus or scheff?

hi, this might be a stupid question so I apologize in advance if so....

but I have some miracid fertilizer left over from a gardenia that is no longer with us...

would that be ok to use in a schefflera or ficus? or do they not like acidic soil. I haven't done it, since I figured I should just get normal balanced fert for them, but now that I have no other use for this miracid, I thought I would ask....

arboricola

I would stay with what you're using and save the miracid for the azaleas. I have heard that juniper, oak, and some pines benefit from an acid soil, but you'll have to check the Ph range for each species.

Phil...

artisanoo

arboricola wrote:I would stay with what you're using and save the miracid for the azaleas. I have heard that juniper, oak, and some pines benefit from an acid soil, but you'll have to check the Ph range for each species.

Phil...

cool, thats what I thought - in that case I need to go buy some fertilizer - ran out..

any recomendations?

arboricola

I use Schultz 10-15-10 when the trees are active and switch to a 7-7-7 when they take a break.

Phil...

artisanoo

arboricola wrote:I use Schultz 10-15-10 when the trees are active and switch to a 7-7-7 when they take a break.

Phil...
is that something I can find at home depot? (I have to go there to get a new light fixture anyhow)

arboricola

You should be able to find it in any garden dept. of most stores...

Phil...

artisanoo

arboricola wrote:You should be able to find it in any garden dept. of most stores...

Phil...
cool thanks, ill check it out.

alexinoklahoma

And read the fine print on ferts - many do not have the 'extra' nutrients above and beyond the NPK stuff some species require. OK to use now and then (the cheap stuff usually is devoid of what I speak of) but its a good idea to give a 'full-spectrum' fert more often than not if the soil is 'sterile by design' (like perlite/gravel mix *only* or such). I like kinda mixing it up now and then with fish emulsion(s) and other brands to ensure a variety of minerals and whatnots upon the roots. Price is not any guarantee of what is within the fert, IME.

Alex

artisanoo

alexinoklahoma wrote:And read the fine print on ferts - many do not have the 'extra' nutrients above and beyond the NPK stuff some species require. OK to use now and then (the cheap stuff usually is devoid of what I speak of) but its a good idea to give a 'full-spectrum' fert more often than not if the soil is 'sterile by design' (like perlite/gravel mix *only* or such). I like kinda mixing it up now and then with fish emulsion(s) and other brands to ensure a variety of minerals and whatnots upon the roots. Price is not any guarantee of what is within the fert, IME.

Alex
thanks, ill keep that in mind

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”