lolokaiwahine
Newly Registered

Japanese Boxwood in Broom Style?

Hello everyone,
I am working on my second ever bonsai and I picked up this awesome Boxwood left for dead at the local nursery. I repotted it and I loved the look of the roots. My question is: Did I do it right? Do I have too many roots showing? And should I attempt a formal upright?

I haven't done any pruning, yet. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_20150528_174447.jpg
IMG_20150528_175334.jpg
IMG_20150528_191034.jpg
IMG_20150528_190747.jpg

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

lolokaiwahine wrote:Hello everyone,
I am working on my second ever bonsai and I picked up this awesome Boxwood left for dead at the local nursery. I repotted it and I loved the look of the roots. My question is: Did I do it right? Do I have too many roots showing? And should I attempt a formal upright?

I haven't done any pruning, yet. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Good evening OP,

Nice little tree you have there. It is good practices to ease a tree into a bonsai pot, this is normally accomplished by root pruning as well as branch and leaf pruning, I wont get into details as I'm sure you have already familiarized yourself with the search function. Wiring is also often used to separate branches and allow for more sunlight to penetrate hard to reach areas this promotes more adventitious growth overall throughout the tree. I would try and get ideas from nature or the internet which ever you chose just remember that your bonsai is a living thing, bonsai is about patience and planning. The saying goes "people don't plan to fail...they fail to plan" In the end the design is ultimately up to the person.

-Jonathan

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”