nodakbec
Newly Registered

Can I save my bonsai?

I received a juniper as a gift last fall. It made it fine through the winter and had new growth this spring, but now it is turning brown and appears to be dying. I moved it from the full sun to where it is only getting 3 or 4 hours of morning sun. I have been feeding it Miracle Grow about every two weeks. I live on the border of zones 6a and 6b. Can I save it? What and I doing wrong?
Attachments
bonsai 2.jpg
bonsai 1.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can you save your bonsai? Probably not. Juniper tends to die slowly from the inside out. By the time it looks as bad as yours does, it is probably already dead and past saving.

I can't tell from what you said or the picture, did you have your juniper indoors? If so that is why it died.. They are not indoor plants and are guaranteed to die indoors, sooner or later.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Doubtful you can save it from the point it's at now.

If you had it indoors, that was one strike against it, as junipers are strictly outdoor plants - even in your area. Another strike against it was the heavy Miracle Gro feedings. Bonsai are very sensitive to heavy frequent fertilizing, & when fed it should be a urea-free product meant for bonsai.

If you do lose this tree, but wish to try bonsai again, do some reading/research up first to help make it a better experience for you. Don't feel too badly - we all have learn from experience.

nodakbec
Newly Registered

I had it outside. I received a handout with it that said to feed it that much in the spring but I will know better next time. Thank you for your replies.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I feed mine once a month during the growing season (spring/summer) using a liquid urea-free bonsai fertilizer. (Both bonsai nurseries & Amazon online carry them.) One reason why frequent use of regular fertilizers can end up injuring bonsai is because the containers are so small & the root system so constricted that urea & other mineral salts can more quickly build up & burn the roots.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”