markyak
Newly Registered

Procumbens Nana

Hi Everybody,

I'm just getting into bonsai and one of my junipers turned really yellow. The tree itself is about 8 years old. I had in an unheated shed all winter and watered about every 2 weeks. I live in the Pittsburgh area, so winter twmps were pretty rough this year. It seems fine, but when I took it out of the shed when the weather broke, I think I put into full sun too early. Then we had a few massive downpours and the pot got a little flooded.

Anyways, does anyone have suggestions on how I may be able to help it recover? Hopefully its not too late. Can send pics later if asked. Thanks in advance.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

markyak,

Hi, I'm from the same area. For now don't do anything drastic, but do take care how often you water it.

A few downpours should not harm a Juniper if it is in a free draining mix. How long has it been since it was re-potted and with what type of medium?

You might consider moving it to a more sheltered area of your yard until it recovers, or...

markyak
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice Gnome. I bought it late last summer, and have not repotted it since. Not sure how soon it was repotted before I bought it.

I've had it in full shade for the past 2 weeks. I just moved it back to its normal area where it gets mostly morning and early afternoon sun. Some of the underneath foliage is greenish, but about 90% is still yellow.

If I repot, and don't cut roots, is that a good idea for a tree under stress? Also, is this an OK time of year to do that? I think I want to get it out of the soil its in and start over. Suggestions?

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”