xiadun
Newly Registered

Ailing shohin Hinoki Cypress

Last spring I purchased a Hinoki Cypress, roughly 6 years old, and about 8 inches tall. It made it through last summer and fall just fine, and was wintered in Northern Indiana. We got snow and a few colder days, but I had the tree, in pot, against the side of my house, slightly in the ground and protected from the winds (but it recieved snow). Starting this spring, I noticed the normal full green is now much lighter, and now browning has begun to set in, mostly near the tips towards the top of the tree. I also had to repot the tree because the pot it was in developed a large crack in it over winter, so I'm sure that didn't help

My tree is kept on the north side of my house and gets sunlight for about 70% of the daylight hours here. It is watered as needed, not on a schedule. The put it went into now has a single drain hole instead of two which the last pot had. All this is leading me to think that it may be suffering from tip blight, but I don't want to just start chopping branches and further endanger my tree.

Some pictures:
This was last spring. Not a great view of where it sits, but that is its normal home location. The pot in the background is also the pot that it is in now.

Image Image
I brought it inside just for these pictures. It is in the same location outside as last year. You can see how the tree has faded some in general, and that the browning is located neard the tips at the top mostly.

Thank you in advance to any advice you may be able to give. I'm still quite new to this.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

xiadun,

In the northern hemisphere, the north side of a building will not get nearly as much sun as most species would like. I don't grow this species but I would think that a transition to a brighter location is in order. Can anyone else offer anything more specific?

xiadun
Newly Registered

Sadly that is the best spot for me at the moment. Our southern portion to the lawn is shaded by trees. I'm looking at making something work in the side yard though.

Progress report on the tree. The foliage right branch in the second picture is now quite faded and brittle. I am trying a fungicide, but I fear that entire side may have to go. Hoping to save the rest of the tree but starting to worry that isn't going to happen anymore.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

xiadun,
Hoping to save the rest of the tree but starting to worry that isn't going to happen anymore.
I feel your pain. I'm embarrassed to say how many pots I have on "Death Row" this year.

xiadun
Newly Registered

Applied a fungicide I had recommended to me, and going to remove the obiviously dead branches tomorrow, along with pruning out any browning from other areas in an attempt to keep it from spreading. From my understanding of tip blight (which admittedly isn't great at all), I may still be able to save the rest and attempt to regrow what was lost over the coming years. I've isolated my tree from the others to prevent any potential spreading too. I had two junipers (albeit cheap, Amazon purchased ones) die on my last year pretty rapidly, I'm assuming from the same thing. I got those trees as practice basically, and this cypress was my second "real" tree, with the first being a Dawn Redwood which is the slowest budding tree ever. Debating planting it back in the ground to try to fatten it up some.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”