xposure
Newly Registered

Are my elms ok??

Hi there!

First off: Just became a member since this place seemed like the place to ask!
And I'm also new to bonsai trees.

Anyways, I ordered a few trees one month ago from England (I live in middle Sweden)
Among these trees there was two Chinese elms.
One quite small (indoor) and one large.

First of the real issue, my small elm!
I took that to my apartment just to see how it did before I dragged all my trees there, which was a great idea since my elm got very sick in my apartment.
I had it in the window, but unfortunately I think that the heat from the radiator almost killed it.
It dryed out completely and the leaves turned from healthy dark green into light green and then greyish in just a few days.
The leaves also got very dry and fell off when I touched them.

Anyways, I took my tree back to my parents place and I did a test doing a little thin cut in the trunk and it's light green on the inside.
I'm watering it but I'm afraid of overwatering it.
What should I do now?
Should I drench it in water, or should I water it regularly everyday, or should I let it dry a bit?
Or anything else?
I'm no expert but this elm is really beautiful and I want it to stay alive very much! :)

Elm number 2!
The big one!
That one is doing quite good!
I let it be outside in the sun during the daytime, and then I take it inside since it still gets quite chilly during the nights here in Sweden.
But is that the right thing to do? Maybe it should be outside all the time?
Or inside? (I don't honestly now if it's an indoor or an outdoor bonsai.)
Cause ofcourse the temperatures swing quite hard from outdoor to being indoor.

One thing is good: It's shooting a lot of new buds and the tree seems more healthy then when I got it a few weeks ago.
The thing that concerns me is that some of the older leaves are turning yellow and fall off if I touch them.
Iv'e read a few articles and there's a lot that can be the cause of it, but it can't be all that bad since it's shooting new buds, right?? :)

If you want to see pictures that can be arranged in a few hours.
Thanks in advance!

Best regards!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

xposure,

Check here for tips on when and how to water. As you have realized, an indoor environment of low light and low humidity (heating in this case) is hard on plants so I would leave them both outside as long as your weather permits.

Chinese Elms can retain their leaves throughout the winter but the old leaves have to drop sometime so I don't think that is a problem especially if you are seeing new growth.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”