treyh32
Newly Registered

Need help identifying bonsai please

Can someone identify my new bonsai friend for me please? And if he will be able to survive indoors. I bought it from Walmart and it had no identification on it. Thank you! :D
https://I.imgur.com/v8vAVgL.jpg
https://I.imgur.com/pUFn6Do.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

treyh32,

You have a Fukien Tea (Carmona). This is not a plant that I have any experience with but it does have a reputation of being somewhat difficult.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html
Can anyone offer any first hand advice?

imafan26
Mod

Where are you located? Most trees are not houseplants and really need to be out in the sun.

Fukien tea is a weed in my yard.

treyh32
Newly Registered

I am located near Dallas, Texas. I put it on my patio to get some sun for about 4 hours today. Will it be able to survive on periodic days out in the sun? I got it to liven my desk for when I move into a dorm this summer. I've also noticed some of the leaves are dead on it, should I cut them off? Sorry, I'm new to this, but want to learn how to keep this poor guy alive and well.

UPDATE: Ok, so I read a bit on it and decided to hook up a 40 watt lamp with a normal 43 watt bulb in it, will this suffice as well as 2-4 hours of sunlight a day, and if so, how many hours should I leave the lamp on a day?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your Fukien tea is already not looking entirely healthy - a number of leaves showing yellowing. I don't know how long you have had it, to know whether this is from what you have been doing or it was that way when you bought it.

In general, like most trees, it would benefit from being outdoors in the growing season, until the night time temps start going below 45. However, it is a tree. Trees are adapted to staying in one place. I think finding a good indoor spot and leaving it is better than constant in and out. When you bring a plant out from indoors, generally you have to harden it off, get it used to being out doors gradually. You can't do that if it is going back and forth all the time.

Your Fukien tea can handle being indoors all the time. It will need extra humidity (indoor, air conditioned air is dry) such as a humidity tray and daily misting. And it will need plenty of light. A dedicated lamp just a few inches away should work, but it is nice if it can be near a window, to get some natural light as well. The lamp should be on anywhere from 12 to 16 hrs a day.

treyh32
Newly Registered

I have only owned it for 2 days. Thank you for all the help and info! I have a window that doesn't get direct sunlight I can place it next to, and I will move the lamp over it, hopefully that will suffice. Thank you for the help! :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”