Judith_M_D
Newly Registered

Help with soil.

I forgot to ask about soil mixtures. I read the information on soils at the top of the forum and couldn't get much help. What soil mixture would be best for a bonsai growing in VA. Also, my ficus looks like it's ready for a new pot soon. (even though I just got it.) How do I know?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Judith_M_D,

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I read the information on soils at the top of the forum and couldn't get much help.
What specifically are you having trouble with?
What soil mixture would be best for a bonsai growing in VA.
Ynot used to grow Ficus in N. Carolina before his transplant. I know he was/is fond of an entirely inorganic mix. I have been keeping mine in a similar mix as most of my other trees, about 20% Pine bark and the balance inorganic. Recently my main inorganic components have been Haydite, which is fired shale and Lava rock.

I think you will find that the subject of soil does not necessarily need to be overly complicated. For now be aware of the proper components and texture. Exact ratios can come later after you have some "yardstick" by which to measure your results.
Also, my ficus looks like it's ready for a new pot soon. (even though I just got it.) How do I know?
Try to judge how root-bound it is. Can you remove it from the pot without the rootball disintegrating? This will determine if it can go another year.

Have you seen Jerry's site? There is much information on Ficus there.
[url]https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html[/url]

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

Judith_M_D wrote:I forgot to ask about soil mixtures. I read the information on soils at the top of the forum and couldn't get much help. What soil mixture would be best for a bonsai growing in VA.
To quote from the sticky:
It is important to have a soil mixture that works for your conditions.
IE: What works perfectly in arid Mesa, AZ would retain way to much moisture for someone in rainy Seattle, WA. The 'Seattle mix' would dry out too quickly for Kansas City...etc.

This is why it is important to understand the function of your soil wrt its components.
As you study these links you will find a wealth of experience and opinions. They may differ slightly but each is working for that persons environment.
This is a key issue to address. Often people ask 'What is the best soil mix for [Random tree type/location]?' This question has as many different answers as there are variables [and people] involved in bonsai itself.
gnome wrote:I think you will find that the subject of soil does not necessarily need to be overly complicated. For now be aware of the proper components and texture
I Completely agree.

I like Gnome need more details wrt your soil dificulties please, It is not difficult but it differs substantially from normal container gardening and this often seems a difficult transition for some people to make.

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”