JMH
Newly Registered

Golden Gate Ficus

I have just aquired a Golden Gate Ficus from a fiend of mine as a gift. It is about 10 years old according to the literature that came with the tree. My questions start with...

1.) What is the growing season for this type of tree?

2.) When and how should you prune it so that it become richer with growth and fuller canopy? How do you trim the leaves and when do you trim them so that they regenerate in mutiples (I know there is a word for this but cant think of it)

3.) Do they drop their leaves durin the winter eventhough they are considered a tropical indoor tree.?

I am new at this so be kind!

Thanks
JMH

Also do you need to have a humidity tray underneath this type of bonsai?

Striferitus
Cool Member

Ficuses are Tropical and dropping leaves during winter is sorta bad cause that means it has been exposed to colder temps that what it usually gets this happens cause ficuses do not like temp change so your best bet would be keeping it inside under a light. jAs for the pruneing goes qait for gnome to answer that.

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Sine you will be keeping it inside in the winter, a humidity tray is necessary. The heat we heat our homes with is very dry, and a humidity tray helps keep everything nice and, well...humid :wink:, which tropical trees need. I would also advise misting once or twice a day if possible.

Also, keep it away from any drafts.

Joe

P.S. The growing season is year-round, although I find that growing does slow down in the winter.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JMH,
When and how should you prune it so that it become richer with growth and fuller canopy? How do you trim the leaves and when do you trim them so that they regenerate in mutiples (I know there is a word for this but cant think of it)
The word you are searching for is 'ramification', the process where one shoot becomes two, etc. etc.

Unless you have some serious supplemental lighting I think you will find that your tree will slow down considerably during the winter and a lot of pruning will not be required. Under fluorescents my Ficus do put on new growth but not nearly at the same rate as outside in full sun.

Norm

JMH
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the input.

Another question of mine is that a couple of the leaves are green but are yellow splotchy... however there are new lighter green leaves forming... is this something to be cautious about? also ... the splotchy leaves a couple have fallen off.

one last thing
with ficus ... mine seems to be secreting a sticky sap like substance on the leaves? is this normal?

Thanks
JM

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JMH,

Everything sounds OK to me. New leaves on my Ficus are a lighter color at first. Ficus secrete the sap you note, although I never see it unless I prune. Even the splotchy leaves might not be cause for concern. Every leaf eventually dies off, even on tropicals. Do you fertilize the tree?

Norm

JMH
Newly Registered

Gnome... what time and when/how do you prune... and are there any articles that I can read on this subject for Golden Gate Ficus?

ynot
Greener Thumb

JMH wrote:Gnome... what time and when/how do you prune... and are there any articles that I can read on this subject for Golden Gate Ficus?
You will find a gold mine of Ficus information at: https://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusForum.html

And more here: https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html

Enjoy 8).

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”