shimbu

Hard Water & Bonsai: So I'll ask the pros ;)

Ok guys... I've searched, read up on bonsai forums, asked "gardeners" etc etc.

I have hard water.... Horrible city water... My bonsai loves it when I collect rain water, and for a while, that was perfect as it was very wet here in PA for a while. After it dried up a bit, I was using tap water, allowing it to sit on the window sill to hopefully evaporate some of the harmful minerals. then someone suggested it.

DISTILLED WATER!?!?!?

So, is it bad becuase it contains nothing? Or can I simply add a bit more nutrients manually? My Serissa Foetida has new growth but is dropping it's leaves. they aren't yellow... I know I don't over water, if anything, I think they're burning from me being overly careful, so I'll work on that. .I just want to make sure I'm not killing my bonsai (because I can do that oh so many other ways ;) ) by watering it with the opposite of what I should be using.

I trust the pros and admins here more than anywhere... This is where I got started... although I don't post all that much.

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh.. P.S. I've read up on my bonsai quite a bit, but I'm at a lost on how to create the 8 week dormant period without putting it in the fridge (thats a joke, I really won't do it) Suggestions? My bonsai is indoor (don't freat, I really do keep a nice growing environment) I have a humidifier that keeps quite a nice humid environment, as well as growing lamps, even through it does get sun during the day being a foot or so away from a north facing window.

Can I burn my bonsai with the growing lamp being on too long through out the day? I keep it on from about 8am to 9pm. It sits roughly a foot directly above my serrisa.

Ladies and Gentlemen.. I digress... Thank you for any help! :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

shimbu,

You've asked some interesting questions and I'd be lying if I said I had all the answers. I too have hard water but it is well water. I never gave it much consideration until recently when I got tired of my Azaleas failing after a couple of seasons. Starting this year I began using water from a dehumidifier exclusively for my surviving specimen. As far as the water being deficient, I fertilize regularly with varied products, both organic and water soluble, so I think it is covered.

In researching this question I discovered that Werner M. Busch in the volume "Bonsai" states that Beech dislikes Lime and should receive rain or other soft water. Not all species are so sensitive though. In the same book Busch notes that Oak has a high tolerance for mineral salts and hard water is not an issue. So I suppose the real answer is that it depends upon the species. Alas I have no specific information regarding Serissa.
Can I burn my bonsai with the growing lamp being on too long through out the day? I keep it on from about 8am to 9pm. It sits roughly a foot directly above my serrisa.
I take it you are using fluorescents. as long as you keep it far enough above the plant you should be OK. I don't grow this species but I keep other tender plants under fluorescents during the winter and I give them 16 hours of light a day. By the way, if you are using conventional incandescents, as opposed to High Intensity lighting, I strongly suggest that you reconsider. They produce too little light energy and too much heat.
My Serissa Foetida has new growth but is dropping it's leaves. they aren't yellow... I know I don't over water, if anything, I think they're burning from me being overly careful, so I'll work on that.
I'm sure that you know that this species has a reputation of being difficult to keep. Have you had the plant long enough to become accustomed to its requirements? Have you been fertilizing it?
being a foot or so away from a north facing window.
Be careful of cold drafts.

Sorry I can't offer anything more specific.

Norm

shimbu

I feel you might have a point about the light and about the fertilizer.

It is a florescent, but not technically a growing light. Although I did get the highest rating florescent that would fit in the housing I had. Maybe now that I've had the bonsai for some time now, I'll invest in a "growing" lamp or something. unfortunately, in my development, I just can't trust keeping my bonsai outside.

I was a bit laxed on the fertilizing, although stunting, I don't think that was causing the leaf drops. I found something this morning.

Last night I watered my bonsai, and when I woke this morning, I found 3 little worms. They looked the regular worm to me, but very small. They had surfaced because of the temporarily damp soil. I took them out, but I fear where 3 are, more will be around the corner.

I don't think the dirt is very course either, the drainage is fair but not excellent. I don't think there is enough inorganic matter in the pot, but dirt is probably my weakest subject, not that any are strong yet ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Gnome, you're always a big help.

ynot
Greener Thumb

shimbu wrote:
Oh.. P.S. I've read up on my bonsai quite a bit, but I'm at a lost on how to create the 8 week dormant period without putting it in the fridge (thats a joke, I really won't do it) Suggestions? My bonsai is indoor (don't freat, I really do keep a nice growing environment) I have a humidifier that keeps quite a nice humid environment, as well as growing lamps, even through it does get sun during the day being a foot or so away from a north facing window.
Your serrissa is a sub-tropical plant and as such has no real 'dormancy'.

Dormancy is an issue for plants from more temperate climates.

More on serrissas: https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html
As Gnome noted a fluorescent light would not be likely to burn it but please be more descriptive of your lighting setup. IE: Type of bulb, wattage etc...

ynot

shimbu

ynot, good to see you.

I use a twist in compact florescent light. 30 watts and an output of 1800 lumen.

https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44433-3-29392&lpage=none

shimbu

Ynot,

I was curious what you thought about my lighting situation?

ynot
Greener Thumb

shimbu wrote:ynot, good to see you.
8), Thanks! It's nice to be seen.
I have had almost no time for the online world recently, My apologies for being so [unusually ;) ] brief as of late.
shimbu wrote:I use a twist in compact florescent light. 30 watts and an output of 1800 lumen.

https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44433-3-29392&lpage=none
Ynot,

I don't see a thing wrong with those bulbs [Use reflectors and keep them close for best results]. I used to use them in fact [& still have a few laying around methinks...] before I switched to the long fluorescent shop lights [More lumens 8) :D]

Gnome is fond of those shop lights also.

ynot

MartyWakat

shimbu wrote:Ynot,

I use similar twist flourescents for supplemental lighting. I preferred the 'Daylight' bulbs as they have a better spectrum for growing. No chance you are gonna burn them with those being a foot away. I use two of them along with 55,000 lumens from a HID grow lamp for primary lighting :lol:

I run them from 8am to 10pm and the trees love the light.

ynot
Greener Thumb

MartyWakat wrote:
shimbu wrote:Ynot,

I preferred the 'Daylight' bulbs as they have a better spectrum for growing.
:oops: Whoops!

Actually I agree [& that is what I used] I am afraid my cold is making me lazy and I did not look at the link again.... My bad.

No chance you are gonna burn them with those being a foot away.
Absolutely 8).

ynot

shimbu

thanks guys!

You rock 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”