Striferitus
Cool Member

Possible to Turne a Sage Bush into a Bonsai?

hi My mom has this sage bush outside and i was thinking about takeing a cuting from it next spring an growing that into a bonsai. Has anyone out their made a bonsai out of a sage plant. also norm what is it possible to grow a japanese maple from a cutting if so how and do you have any good links on how to grow plants from cuttings

Gnome
Mod

Striferitus,
is it possible to grow a japanese maple from a cutting if so how
Yes it is possible to root cutting of the broad-leaf forms and I have done so in the past, evidently the cut-leaf types are very difficult. Semi-hardwood cutting are taken in early summer as the wood begins to lignify. Rooting hormone and high humidity are essential. Professional growers use misting systems that are beyond the scope of most hobbyists. I have had luck keeping the cutting under glass. I have used a one gallon jar up-ended over the cutting/s although this obviously limits the number of cutting you can keep.

[url]https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cuttings.htm[/url]

Brent Walston also states elsewhere regarding this species that:
Young vigorously growing trees produce the best wood. You want a nice fat strong shoot. Old trees with tiny leaves and internodes are nearly impossible to root.
So if the donor tree is older perhaps an air layer would be more appropriate, it certainly would produce faster results as far as a mature bonsai is concerned.

Another article to take a look at:

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Cuttings.html[/url]

Concerning the Sage Brush, I don't recall reading about anyone working with this species but that does not mean that you cannot try.

Norm

Striferitus
Cool Member

Thankyou for posting
Next year i willl try with several cuttings and document what turns up and i will post it for anyone who would like to try to make a bonsai sage.

TY
strife

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”