bsteiger
Newly Registered

Can I still save my schefflera???

It was a gift from my girlfriend 2 years ago, and was doing not so well for a while with aphyds (or scales, not really sure which one), but I was able to get rid of them, and was seeing a bit of new growth for about 3 weeks. Then I went out of state for a week, and asked my roomate to keep an eye on it and water it every day or so. I come back and it's bone dry, and 70% of the leaves are brown and brittle. I watered and fed it for about 2 weeks more, but to no luck. Now it looks like this. I was about to call it quits, but I thought I'd post up here to see what my options are. Is it completely dead, or is there a chance I could bring it back to life?

[img]https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/djbstee/DansCamera028.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/djbstee/DansCamera031.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/djbstee/DansCamera030.jpg[/img]

-Brandon

MartyWakat

Looks dead to me. Scratch the main trunk with your fingernail and see if there is anything green on the inside. If there is, there is still a chance....otherwise it is dead.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bsteiger,

I agree with Marty, it looks pretty bad. If you had not uprooted it I might had suggested that you give it a while longer, sometimes a plant will surprise you. Perform the scratch test and check it out.

Norm

bsteiger
Newly Registered

Well I did the scratch test.....No Green. :( I had uprooted it because I was going to throw it away, plus I had suspected it had root rot, which it did.

I guess chalk this one up to experience, huh? I'd like to get a new tree to start working on ASAP, would it be too late in the year to get a ficus or some other tropical tree?

Any suggestions on disposal? should I just toss it in the trash?

MartyWakat

bsteiger wrote:Well I did the scratch test.....No Green. :( I had uprooted it because I was going to throw it away, plus I had suspected it had root rot, which it did.

I guess chalk this one up to experience, huh? I'd like to get a new tree to start working on ASAP, would it be too late in the year to get a ficus or some other tropical tree?

Any suggestions on disposal? should I just toss it in the trash?
Anytime is a good time for a Ficus :)
Tropical and sub-tropicals seem to be alot of fun and you can get them anytime. I just got a ficus and I also purchased a Serissa off of the internet and it should be arriving tomorrow. I also have my eye on a pomagranate as well. I don't know what kind of 'work' you are looking for, but as far as getting a new tree......No time like the present.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”