Sophie85
Newly Registered

Complete newbie to Bonsai trees-many questions!

IMG_20150420_073620.jpg
IMG_20150420_073504.jpg
Hi there I am a beginner to all things Bonsai, hence the numerous questions to follow! I have three Bonsai trees on board and am not sure what they actually are...I have attached two photos, two of the Bonsai are the same, the smaller one I think is a different species-does anyone know what it is? At the moment the watering schedule is 1/2 cup per Bonsai twice a week. It seems to be sufficient however tips are welcome! I am looking at getting some more soil mix as well and have seen that Home Depot and Walmart both sell Bonsai soil-can anyone recommend this or should I be looking else were to get soil mix? Also in terms of pruning, how often should this be done or is it down to personal preference and desired shape? Thanks in advance for your help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Sophie85,

Hello and welcome to the site.

The first is a Ginseng Ficus and the second is a Fukien Tea, both are tender and need protection from cold but that won't be a problem for you. Water as needed, not to a schedule or predetermined quantity.

Learn about watering here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Learn about bonsai soil here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

Sophie85
Newly Registered

Thanks very much Gnome!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Sophie, I live in OH-USA. the tender tree that needs shelter from October to May (here) does a world better outdoors during the warm time of year. So soonish you may want to be thinking about how your tree babies can go outside.

Goodness! you live in West Palm Beach, your trees are going to live almost every day outdoors.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Forum and to the art of bonsai. I just want to second to be sure to read the information Gnome linked you to. A half a cup of water at a time sounds all wrong.

From the link on watering: The goal of watering is to completely saturate the soil each time you water, repeating only as necessary. A little water often is the wrong approach.

Feel free to keep us posted on how it is going for you and ask questions!

Sophie85
Newly Registered

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

We only win when the next newbie has to get a bigger yard...

Sophie85
Newly Registered

So far they haven't died so I'm cautiously optimistic! Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”