liz55
Newly Registered

How do I begin to bonsify my walnut seedlings?

I sprouted 7 black walnut trees recently, they range in age from 2 weeks to 1 month. I want to make a couple of them into bonsais but I'm not sure when would be the best time to begin that process. I have read that walnuts need to establish themselves more before they are repotted so I'm not sure if they are too young now. Any advice is appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

way too young, teeny babies. All you can do with them at this point is put them in big pots and let them grow for a few years. Small bonsai do not grow into big bonsai. Once you trim all its roots and put it in a little bonsai pot, its growth will be very stunted after that and to get it to look like an actual bonsai would be a labor of decades.

Walnut trees are actually not very well suited for bonsai. They have large compound leaves that can't be reduced much; their roots are also very coarse. So unless you are willing to grow the tree in the ground for say a decade, until it has a good thick trunk and then cut it down to be say three feet tall and make a bonsai that size, its features are going to look way out of proportion on a small bonsai.

I went looking to see if I could find an example of anyone doing a walnut tree bonsai and could not find a single one, which should tell you something.

Sorry to be discouraging, but better you should think about these things ahead of time, than to invest years of effort and be disappointed at the results.

If you are looking for a tree to bonsai that you can collect for free, my yard sprouts redbud seedlings like weeds. They are still not the easiest tree to bonsai, but much easier that the walnut and beautiful in bloom:

https://www.virtualdollhouse.net/Custome ... REDBUD.JPG

Junipers, maples, and oaks grow natively in Utah and all would be much easier to work with as bonsai.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Any reggia (walnut) has a compound leaf too large to train-prune back as bonsai. I've only seen one years ago on the old IBC site, and it was mostly too big to be bonsai.

Most trees that have compound leaves will not tolerate individual leaf pruning.

I am afraid you cannot get there from here.

liz55
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice, its a little disappointing but it is easy for me to find or plant other trees like juniper. Walnuts are not native here so I will be giving them to my brother in Iowa where they can grow big and happy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for coming back to respond, people don't always!

Even working with something like juniper, which is a classic bonsai tree, one of the most common, starting from seed is a slow way to go. Even if you are going to do that, in the meantime while you are waiting a few years for your seedling tree to get big enough to do anything with, think about getting yourself a nursery specimen. At the end of the season, many nurseries have sales and you can buy trees or shrubs in 2 gallon or 5 gallon pots very cheap.

Then you can start right away to learn and practice bonsai techniques, like visualizing what you might be able to do with this specimen, coming up with a design, cutting it down, maybe wiring branches, seeing how a live tree/ shrub responds to the changes you made, etc.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Liz! peach plum cherry crab apple apricot japan maple seed is everywhere in UT. Collect-spit out the seed and plant outdoors to over-winter (see cold stratification).

IMO crabs bloom from seed if grown to field at a fairly young age (and once blooming) can be bonsai-ed easily.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”