apples

Appletree Bonsai - How to Get it to Branch?

I planted an apple seed about nine years ago,the resulting tree has been in a pot for three years.(I'm@USDA Zone 9)
It seems to be doing well but I cant get it to branch!
I sometimes top it twice a year but it only grows one top to replace what I cut off!
Any help here?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

The goal of an apple or a crab as bonsai is to get it to bloom. If I wanted to grow one from seed, I would be on search for a crab that bloomed near me.

Apples can be trained short, but your still talking about a tree grown to field eight or ten years, then chopped back and regrown to ramify as bonsai.

Starting from seed and training is a small pot is a labor of decades. Its got to grow feet first to support a more ramified top.

On any fruit tree reducing leaf size is comparatively easy, reducing bloom size or fruit size is not possible.

Crab apples are probably how you are going to have to go if you plan to ever reach a tree in bloom.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

An apple tree grown out from seed, still has a need for chilling hours before its ever going to bloom. A tree that needs about the number of chilling hours (read winter) that I have, can if grown large enough, make bloom and possibly fruit.

My tree grown at your house may never get enough chilling hours to make bloom. :( A full sized fruit will need to be thinned down to a single fruit if it ever does bloom.

apples

I knew it was unlikely the tree would bloom it was just another tree to bonsai.
I missed febuary all together due to illness,got no root work done! Lost 4 trees because they just dryed out,no body round here could trouble themselves to water the poor things!
Maple age9,Mulberry7 two elm,I guess going on10-RIP
The apples mix was a little more organic so stayed moister...or more moist(:
You have a great day tom!and all!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

But, but, but you're in zone 9! Collect a few bald cypress, stump them. Bingo! in ten or twenty years your be in bonsai again. ;)

apples

Thanks for the advice.
What do you mean by stump it?

No matter how many cypress I have thoses trees were hard won

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”