Duhjoker

Spring maintenance young Black Pine

Well it's been two years since I was advised to plant my two juvenile JBP in the ground and let them grow. Now they've begun to grow and are a lot taller than I would like the finished products to be after the final cuts but the trunks are not quite thick enough. Any way I took some pics of this springs growth and would like to know if any trimming or cutting needs to done. Any help would be appreciated.

JBP #1 showing back of tree

JBP #1 showing front

JBP#1 showing top

JBP #1 ground level

JBP #2 behind

JBP #2 front

JBP #2 top

JPB #2 ground level

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Duhjoker,

Examine each plant individually and note the low branches/shoots that are present. It is this growth from which your future bonsai will arise. The tops are probably not destined to be part of the final design, think of them as sacrafice leaders. A very low branch can also serve as a sacrifice if you are lucky enough to have enough low shoots to choose from.

Do not prune the sacrifice leaders/branches except if they shade the lower growth. Feed and water well to encourage growth and therefore thickening of the trunk. The hard part of this process is maintaining/developing the low shoots while allowing unrestricted growth of the sacrifice portions.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”