caitxsith

Fertilizer question

I got my first bonsai! :D

anywhoo...

I also got a fertilizer. It says 7-9-5 on it. The bonsai is a pine. Directions on the 7-9-5 says:

1/4 tea spoon in a gallon.

1/2 for more growth, after repotting, and all other container grown plants.

Do I use it on my bonsai?
If so, when should I give it the fertilizer?
How much fertilizer? 1/4 tea spoon or 1/2? (I don't know what container grown means)

*Off topic?* The bonsai has a few brown needles. Is that ok?

[url=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8421/pinebonsai942007sl0.jpg[/img][/url]
Sorry for the bad quality, I took it with my phone :?

*EDIT* You gotta be kidding. 14 views and yet no reply. For shame! :lol:

I'm trying to figure out how to find out when the soil becomes dry. I can't do that if the top layer is covered with pebbles and moss, can I?

Why is watering bonsai so complicated :evil:

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

Firstly, welcome to the forum, and to the world of Bonsai!

Judging by the looks of that picture, you have a juniper, not a pine. Junipers need to be grown outdoors. Can you do that?

The moss or pebbles need to be removed. And I'm guessing if it has that top dressing, the soil will look like conventional potting soil, made of mostly organic material, and heavy in peat. If this is the case, it will need repotting. But not now.

See this sticky on soil

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

and this on general growing tips
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479.

That should cover watering and soil .

This is an article that should answer most of your questions on fertilizing. https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fertiliz.htm
However, do not always go by one article, read as much as you can.

I use a balanced fertilizer (I believe it's 10-10-10) about every two weeks at half of the recommended dosage, and it seems to work fine. I have read that only a balanced fertilizer should be used.

As for the brown needles, a few shouldn't be a problem. however, if it increases, you'll have to look into it.

Good Luck, 8)

Joe

caitxsith

eh, the soil feels gritty... wait, is that a word? Kinda feels a little rough, like sand, but in bigger pieces. Bonsai soil?

*EDIT* Yeah, it does look like a juniper.

Oh, what's the difference of growing a tree outside and growing a tree right next to your window open. I mean, both get lots of sunlight, fresh air, O_o.

Help would be appreciated! :)

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

eh, the soil feels gritty... wait, is that a word? Kinda feels a little rough, like sand, but in bigger pieces. Bonsai soil?
Possibly. Pictues would be helpful if possible.

Oh, what's the difference of growing a tree outside and growing a tree right next to your window open. I mean, both get lots of sunlight, fresh air, O_o.
Junipers need a period of dormancy in the winter, and although you may be able to get away with growing one inside in the summer, it needs to gradually adjust to cooler tempatures, so that it doesn't continue to grow throughout the winter. I don't think you'll be keping your window open in the middle of winter :wink: (I'm not entitrely sure that would even work... :? ). Are you not able to grow this tree outdoors?

Joe

caitxsith

waaaaaaiiiittt a minute. What is the reason why junipers need to be outside again?

As of right now, I can't put my juniper outside. Maybe stick it in the fridge to simulate winter? :shock:

*EDIT* I'm able to put the juniper outside for winter... but the sudden change in temperature might put the tree to shock... That is, unless the temperature inside the house changes with the weather. Which it does.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

caitxsith,
waaaaaaiiiittt a minute. What is the reason why junipers need to be outside again?
Junipers need a period of dormancy in the winter
I'm able to put the juniper outside for winter... but the sudden change in temperature might put the tree to shock...
it needs to gradually adjust to cooler tempatures,
Joe has answered your questions. I might add however that the diminishing hours of sunlight after summer solstice also plays a large part in inducing dormancy.

Norm

MartyWakat

Junipers need an absolute minimum of 1000 hours of dormency under 40 degrees. I live in a wierd area so I have to grow indoors and also use a refrigerator to simulate winter for the trees.

If a Juniper does not get the needed dormency you have 2 years TOPS with the tree and then it will exhaust and die.

As far as 'inducing' dormency goes I have read lots of different stuff on the matter. I am not convinced that the introduction to dormency is absolutely necessary if the dormency is going to be done in a controlled environment like a refrigerator. Temps will be kept above freezing which is usually a major reason for having to get them ready for winter. When winter comes for me this year I will probably do some minor introduction to the dormency period such as waning light and dropping overnight temps but not for that long. I will mainly just put them in the fridge and be done with it.

caitxsith

Okay, new question. The directions on the fertilizer says to use the mixture to water and MIST THE FOLIAGE.

I just sprayed the mix on my bonsai, but I'm wondering how often I should be spraying it. Once a day?

*EDIT* Also, to simulate winter, can I put the tree in the fridge? Is this effective (am I able to use this every winter without any problems?)? What do I do when I put it in the fridge? Do I water it? Cover the tree with a Ziploc bag? I'm thinking about doing this because the fridge has a solid 34 degrees. Outside though, the temperature gets a little unstable.

*OFFTOPIC EDIT*
My tree is starting to look distorted, so I wanted to cut off a piece of it.

[url=https://imageshack.us][img]https://img398.imageshack.us/img398/6751/juniperbonsai952007cutooh7.jpg[/img][/url]

This pic shows what I want cut off. But how do I go about doing this? Do I just get the trimming scissors and cut off that part?

MartyWakat

As far as using the fridge to simulate winter there is lots of info on the web on this and the best thing is to just start googling it and read as much as you can. It is a bit different for each tree but pretty much they will just be placed in the fridge. Watering is definately still necessary but far less frequent and depending on the species....minimal light may be required. Temps will be kept at pretty much a constant 35 degrees. The fridge can certainly be used every winter for the trees that require dormency.

I am planning on using a small 100watt daylight flourescent in the fridge with a timer set for 10 hours of light. This should be sufficient to provide minimal winter lights for the ones that will require some light in the winter.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

caitxsith,
Okay, new question. The directions on the fertilizer says to use the mixture to water and MIST THE FOLIAGE.

I just sprayed the mix on my bonsai, but I'm wondering how often I should be spraying it. Once a day?
While it may be marginally effective I never bother to feed via the foliar method. The roots, not the foliage, of trees have evolved to take up nutrients. At any rate I don't think I would use a foliar feed that often.

You noted earlier that you are able to keep your Juniper outside during the winter. If you are able to do so in the winter why are you unable or unwilling to do so year round? A juniper will be much happier and much easier to care for in a natural situation. If you had no choice and just had to have a Juniper indoors then I suppose the refrigerator method is better than nothing. If you do have access to a spot outdoors you are making this unnecessarily complicated.

Norm

MartyWakat

Gnome wrote:caitxsith,

While it may be marginally effective I never bother to feed via the foliar method. The roots, not the foliage, of trees have evolved to take up nutrients. At any rate I don't think I would use a foliar feed that often.

You noted earlier that you are able to keep your Juniper outside during the winter. If you are able to do so in the winter why are you unable or unwilling to do so year round? A juniper will be much happier and much easier to care for in a natural situation. If you had no choice and just had to have a Juniper indoors then I suppose the refrigerator method is better than nothing. If you do have access to a spot outdoors you are making this unnecessarily complicated.

Norm
I would agree with Norm here on both accounts. I don't think foliar feeding is a method to adopt on a regular basis. There are cases where it certainly may be needed on a short-term but nutrients should be fed through watering of the roots.

I also agree with him on the dormency point. It is certainly easier on both you and the tree to let nature do it. I however live in an area where that is simply NOT possible.

My house is located at 10,000 feet in altitude and covered with snow on the ground for nearly 8 months of the year. I would have no chance trying to get non-indigenous trees to grow outside here. The total harshness of the climate makes it impossible here. I have had to setup my growroom with HID lights, humidifiers, fans, and even oxygen and co2 enrichment to try and keep these trees thriving indoors where they would normally die. I HAVE To use a refrigerator because I have no choice. If you have the ability to put it outside in an adequate environment then do so, otherwise use the refrigerator method (it really is not that difficult).

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Marty,

Your setup sounds very impressive. How long have you been handling Juniper this way?

I make do with some simple fluorescents over the winter. I suppose you have already seen Jerry Meisliks site. I believe he grows inside the whole year.

Norm

MartyWakat

Gnome wrote:Marty,

Your setup sounds very impressive. How long have you been handling Juniper this way?

I make do with some simple fluorescents over the winter. I suppose you have already seen Jerry Meisliks site. I believe he grows inside the whole year.

Norm
Honestly Norm this is a renewed interest for me. I used to live in North Carolina for a while but moved here in 1996. I used to have Juniper Bonsai trees outdoors and I also used to grow some stuff indoors. When I moved here I did not bring the bonsai trees I had. Since then I have purchased two Juniper trees and tried to keep them outdoors......both died so I gave up.

I recently decided to try and pick it back up again so last year I bought a 20 year old Juniper tree. I knew I would need to grow this indoors most of the year so I bought a HID light and set it under it. I bought it in november 2006 so I was close to when it needed to go dormant. Last year I just stuck the tree in a refrigerator for three months with no light and minimal watering. It did ok but some of the foliage died off during the 'winter'. I have slowly been improving the growroom since spring and the tree has grown alot since spring. I plan on improving the refrigerator with a 100w daylight flourescent with 10 hours of light so I think this winter will be better.

I decided that one tree was not enough so recently got a ficus (and thats where I ran across the Jerry Meislik site) and I also got two trees that were near death at a Home Depot. The Dark Green Arborvitae had an awesome trunk so I decided it was worth the $1.25 even though it was not healthy and I got a green mound juniper as well that had a good looking trunk.

My setup is rather small and just in one room of my house. I am very happy to be back growing and needed a new hobby that was relatively inexpensive (my other hobbies include restoring classic muscle cars and RC helicopters....neither of which are cheap).

caitxsith

the temp in winter over here is 45+...

also, anyone want to answer the question on pruning?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

caitxsith,
also, anyone want to answer the question on pruning? This pic shows what I want cut off. But how do I go about doing this? Do I just get the trimming scissors and cut off that part?
In a word, yes. Specialized bonsai tools are generally used but in this case there is no need. Ordinary garden pruners are acceptable, I prefer the bypass type as opposed to the anvil type.
the temp in winter over here is 45+...
This is a little warm I fear. Looks like you and Marty both will be refrigerating your trees over the winter. Had you included your location in your profile some of this confusion might have been avoided.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”