caitxsith

Hey! New to bonsai!-(Pine seeds)

Hello! Just signed up today because I'm new to bonsai... Whenever I post a topic, expect a LOT of questions....

Soo.... I got 5 Jack Pine seeds (yes, it's that mini kit thing). I soaked the seeds for 24~33 hours (some of the seeds I added later). I was pretty glad that all 5 seeds sank. Now they're in the fridge at 34 degrees Fahrenheit. From here, I decided to do a little experiment. I read somewhere that it's better to open the bag and leave in open and put it in the fridge. So I got 3 seeds in a closed bag with a moist paper towel (actually it's wet, rather than moist) and 2 seeds in an open bag with the paper towel. I got an idea here. I heard I should keep Jack Pine seeds in the fridge for 30 days (some sites said 90) or until they start sprouting. So I decided to take 1 seed from both open and closed bag after a week. Then every week, I'll check up on them, until the 90th day (or sooner if one sprouts).

QUESTIONS:
1) When I said all 5 seeds sank, they sank after I poked them a little. Before I poked them, only 1 seed sunk by itself and the other 4 floated. Are the 4 seeds still viable?

2) Is my paper towel TOO wet? I made it a little wet becuase I felt like the towel was going to dry out if it was too dry.

3) Are my ideas good? :oops:

*EDIT* 4) What should the soil be composed of when the bonsai starts to become older? Because I see a lot of bonsai picture online with moss covering the top layer. (I'm taking a random guess - Bonsai soil with peat moss on top? Or maybe bonsai soil with pebbles covering the top layer?).

5) What the heck is Bonsai soil? Is it just one type of soil? Does it have many different types? Will it work for my Jack Pines?

Please answer ASAP!

*NOTE* I know that bonsai from seed takes a while, and I'm willing to wait.

*NOTE* I'm planning on buying a sapling bonsai and learn how to take care of it while my seeds are growing.

Striferitus
Cool Member

Hi and welcome to the site.

I have use one of those mini packs before and it didnt work for me. If it works for you tell me. But you shouldn't just lookat buying mini packs cause of fungus and other plant diseases also you should go buy a sapling but look at things that have a nice trunk also feel under the soil at the base of the trunk cause you might pas up a amazing trunk without even knowing it. you could also try buying a alrady made bonsai tree so you can have fun with that while you wait for your seed to germinate. well good luck with your seeds.

M

caitxsith

thats what I said... oh and there are quite a lot of people who had success with the mini kit.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

caitxsith,

Don't fall into the mental trap of believing that you must produce your bonsai from a seedling or a cutting. Many very experienced growers never attempt to grow their own stock. Bonsai can be approached from more than one direction. I don't consider growing from seed to be the best approach that novices can take.
1) When I said all 5 seeds sank, they sank after I poked them a little. Before I poked them, only 1 seed sunk by itself and the other 4 floated. Are the 4 seeds still viable?
Probably, sometimes viable seeds do not sink immediately.
2) Is my paper towel TOO wet? I made it a little wet becuase I felt like the towel was going to dry out if it was too dry.
Perhaps, when stratifying seeds it is only necessary to retain moisture not wetness. If there is obvious moisture you run the risk of fungus or other associated problems.
3) Are my ideas good?
It is good to have an inquisitive mind but seed starting is a well established practice and there is no need to get creative
4) What should the soil be composed of when the bonsai starts to become older? Because I see a lot of bonsai picture online with moss covering the top layer. (I'm taking a random guess - Bonsai soil with peat moss on top? Or maybe bonsai soil with pebbles covering the top layer?).
The mix for a seedling is not necessarily the same as the soil a mature bonsai might reside in. Moss or top-dressing is not required.
5) What the heck is Bonsai soil? Is it just one type of soil? Does it have many different types? Will it work for my Jack Pines?
Proper bonsai soil is very gritty and coarse compared to what you might think of as potting soil. Please read the bonsais soil sticky located at the top of the forum. There is no one correct mix, it depends upon many factors. Some of which might be the species you are growing, your climate, etc.
*NOTE* I know that bonsai from seed takes a while, and I'm willing to wait.
It is not simply a matter of time, there are various cultural practices that are required in order to transform an ordinary seedling into a true bonsai.
*NOTE* I'm planning on buying a sapling bonsai and learn how to take care of it while my seeds are growing.
It is good to approach bonsai from more than one direction, but "saplings" are not bonsai. Bonsai is all about the illusion of age, it is not simply a tree in a pot.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”