DevonRobbins
Newly Registered

Questions about creating a japanese maple bonsai!

Hi last year I purchased his japanese maple at a garden center. It was labeled a bonsai (I know it's not a bonsai yet) but that's the plan for the future. So first off I live in Alberta, Canada where it gets quite cold so the tree lived outside in the summer last year and when the weather started getting cold I put it in my basement to go dormant for a little more than 2000 hours, I read so many things saying a japanese bonsai can't be in a house for any amount of time or it will die but I had no choice so I did anyways. Now it's been out of dormancy for about 2 months, I had it under grow lights for the first month and it has been by a window ever since. It looks way healthier sitting in the window than it ever did outside so is it okay to stay there? Also the trunk isn't too thick so should I let it grow in it's current pot for a few more years to thicken it up? Any tips on anything I should be doing? Also, I read a lot about people over watering and under watering, I have to water mine everyday so is that normal?

Thanks!

Devon
Attachments
Photo isn't great
Photo isn't great

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Growing a tree totally outside of its zone isn't impossible, just nearly so. If you were to let it go dormant in the fall and move it to a cold-room*, in a box filled with mulch to keep soil temperatures stable and cold. You might be better served.

If your USDA zone is no colder than '4' you may still be best served outdoors with the pot nested in earth.

*Coldroom Here on our side of the border a coldroom would be called a root-cellar. This is not in the heated portion of your cellar.

Indoors and inside heated space, is just too dry and too warm for good health with northern hearty trees. Long term your central heating wins every time.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

DevonRobbins

My thoughts pretty much parallel Tom's. Outside for summer, transitioning to a more sheltered location/s as necessary. If you have the appropriate location to keep it dormant, it will be better for the plant and easier on you. I keep many plants in just such a space.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes it is thin trunked for its size. To thicken it up, I would put it in a bigger pot. Ideally it would grow in the ground for awhile, but if it can't survive your winters, that's not an option. But put it in a big pot and just keep it happy and healthy for a few years. Don't prune, because part of what convinces a tree to thicken its trunk is the weight of the branches it must support.

Once you get it closer to what you want, then you can start cutting it back down to the size and shape you want (it will by then be much taller).

DevonRobbins
Newly Registered

It's not root bound at all. You can barely see any roots when I put it out of the container. Should I still put it in a bigger pot? And thanks everyone for your input so far!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If your soil has mostly fine particles, it will need to get exchanged for much faster draining soil. For a solitary tree I would look to Cactus soil at your local big box store. No fertilizer till at least four weeks after pruning, and even then only 1/2 strength.

Not this spring, but you are going to search leaf cutting for this species. Also in its spring growth spurt, you will only allow the first pair of leaves to grow, pruning off the rest on each branch.

If you don't stop prune your tree will remain lanky. And get ever bigger.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

DevonRobbins,

Although the picture is rather dark it appears that the soil is an appropriate texture. Does water flow freely through the medium and not back up much, if at all? If so you are OK for now. If the roots have not colonized the pot yet there is no urgency to re-pot this year. Add to that the fact that it is already in leaf and I would be inclined to leave it alone this year.

Take this opportunity to research proper bonsai soils/ingredients.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422

Also use the chopstick method to determine when to water, remembering to always water thoroughly.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=1479

Next, take some time to consider where you are headed with this tree. Read this article, in fact read all of them.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Anything Brent (evergreengardenworks) doesn't know about bonsai isn't worth knowing...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”