alisios

Rooting from Jade cutting?

Hello - I read here that some have had success with rooting cuttings from a Jade. What was the best method you used?

I have a Jade and would like to make some cutting from it...

Thanks again!
C

drzaiusx11

I just rooted half a dozen or so jades from clippings :D

The funny thing is that I tried several methods and all of them worked :!:

Since they're succulents (they retain water, mostly in their leaves) they have a lot of stored up energy, which when planted goes towards making new roots.

Here are the methods that I tried and worked:

First, (This step was used on all of my cuttings) cut a clipping from your donor tree, making sure you leave at least one leaf and one [url=https://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/node_internode01web_gf.jpg]node with an internode[/url]

Note: in one variation I used some rooting hormone on the ends before burying in the soil medium. In another trial I didn't use any rooting hormone. Also I had read that after cutting a jade you should let the freshly cut section of the cutting "heal" by leaving it outside of any potting medium or water for 2 days, so I tried this method with two of them and with the rest just planted immediately. After letting those two "heal" I planted them as per normal.

When planting, make sure to bury the node under your soil medium. Also, I tried two soils: shale with pine bark, and a cactus succulent mix--made up mostly of pumice and sand I think. Both seemed to work pretty good, but I'm more inclined to like the succulent mix.

One other step that I tried with a few of them was to put their pots under a plastic bag, propped up by chopsticks in the soil. This kept the moisture level up, and I never had to water them in a whole week and a half before taking the bag off...

After about two weeks, all of the jade cuttings seemed to be well on their way towards becoming fully established in their new pots.

PS. These methods were all tried indoors away from direct sunlight and they were kept in a cool room which received sunlight for about 2/3 of the day...

Hope this helps :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

drzaiusx11,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Jades, mine have been much the same. About the only thing that results in failure is excessive watering. A few thoughts if I might:
making sure you leave at least one leaf and one node with an internode
I usually make the cut just below a node as this is where the roots will emerge.
I used some rooting hormone on the ends before burying in the soil medium. In another trial I didn't use any rooting hormone.
Good for you for experimenting. I have also found that rooting hormone is not necessary with Jades.
Also I had read that after cutting a jade you should let the freshly cut section of the cutting "heal" by leaving it outside of any potting medium or water for 2 days,
This is the method that I have always followed. Jade cuttings can remain unplanted for much longer than that and will actually produce roots like this.
Also, I tried two soils: shale with pine bark, and a cactus succulent mix--made up mostly of pumice and sand I think. Both seemed to work pretty good, but I'm more inclined to like the succulent mix.
Again I agree, although Jades don't seem too particular about soil I too prefer a free draining mix.
One other step that I tried with a few of them was to put their pots under a plastic bag, propped up by chopsticks in the soil. This kept the moisture level up, and I never had to water them in a whole week and a half before taking the bag off.
This also is unnecessary for this species, in fact once I plant my cuttings I don't water for some time, they simply don't need it.

Thanks again for helping out.

Norm

alisios

Thanks for the help!

I got this Hobbit Jade while visiting San Diego this week for 8 dollars. I was thinking about trunk chopping the top off and making a bonsai out of it. :shock: The cuttings I was going to repot.

It's around 2 feet tall with a trunk of about 3 inches..

[img]https://www.robertcory.com/webdata/jade.jpg[/img]

If you have any ideas, let me know...otherwise I'll let know you what happens! ( if anything - it's kinda nice as it is )

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

alisios,

That is a nice one. None of my Crassulas have a 3" trunk but in my climate they get less than half a year of quality growth. I'm not sure how drastic of a chop you have in mind but this plant will almost certainly respond well.

I have cut every leaf from Jades and they always come back strong. You can cut all of the branches back to stubs and you should be OK. Take a close look at the growth pattern, each set alternates. When you prune, new growth will emerge from a leaf axil. Once you realize this you can direct future growth by pruning at the correct location.

This plant will yield many smaller plants. I also have a Hobbit, or is it a Gollum they seem to overlap. I started with one and now have many but none as nice as yours.

Norm

alisios

Hey Norm - In San Diego, people grow these as hedges! I was amazed.

I found this succulent garden place off the beaten path, and this place had about 20 of these of the same size in pots - I thought they were cool.

Anyway, I was thinking about drastically cutting it back - poor thing - from a few inches underneath that first split (about halfway down) - This would take off all the upper branches - but I don't know - things like this make me nervous... here's a view of the other angle...

[img]https://www.robertcory.com/webdata/jade02.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.robertcory.com/webdata/jade03.jpg[/img]

hmmm - I don't know - I'm not very good at visualizing these things...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”