JoeLewko
Green Thumb

When to repot a boxwood

I was just wondering if anyone had any luck repotting a boxwood in the fall. I have this boxwood that needs to get repotted, as well as possibly some minor rootpruning to get it into a shallower pot (although that might not be necessary). I know major root-pruning can not be carried out in the fall, but I did have luck reoptting a juniper in autumn of last year. So I'm just asking for anyone's experience with repotting boxwoods at this time of year. Also if I can do some root work if needed.

Joe

P.S. I'll take a pic of it with the two choices for pots later when I update my jining experiment.

ynot
Greener Thumb

JoeLewko wrote:I was just wondering if anyone had any luck repotting a boxwood in the fall. I have this boxwood that needs to get repotted, as well as possibly some minor rootpruning to get it into a shallower pot (although that might not be necessary). I know major root-pruning can not be carried out in the fall, but I did have luck reoptting a juniper in autumn of last year. So I'm just asking for anyone's experience with repotting boxwoods at this time of year. Also if I can do some root work if needed.

Joe

P.S. I'll take a pic of it with the two choices for pots later when I update my jining experiment.
IMO, Pot choice is not a concern for months. You answered both your questions already. [& You are correct: You were lucky w/ the Juniper]

Answer this question: How does re-potting now benefit the tree?

Also considering:
A. How slowly boxwoods grow to begin with.
B. The active growing season is nearly at an end. [It's hardly going to get any worse in the time it has left this year...]
C. You eliminate a portion of it's store of resources for next year while simultaneously providing it with cramped living quarters...

Why would you risk an out of season re-potting for what would appear to be no gain [Nor any time to recover]?

IMO, Wait until spring...

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”