JadeNovice
Newly Registered

How should I prune my jade bonsai??

I've had my jade bonsai for 2 years and haven't pruned it because of my lack of knowledge. I've had leaves die on some of the shorter branches. Should I cut the leafless branches down to the trunk or will the leaves grow back? On the other hand I have long flexible branches with leaves on the end. These longer branches tend to reach for the sun so I turn it every few days for even light. Should I pinch the tips off the longer branches to make it compact? Should I wire and shape the long branches? Any other pruning or care tips?
Attachments
IMG_20150226_124321710.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JadeNovice,

Although often called "Baby Jade" your plant is properly known as Portulacaria afra. This plant will back-bud, even on old "wood", so yes you can prune it.

Can I assume that you are growing it indoors with no supplemental lighting? The plant will be much happier outside when weather permits and will respond to pruning better as well.

Norm

Demosouthpaw
Cool Member

JadeNovice wrote:I've had my jade bonsai for 2 years and haven't pruned it because of my lack of knowledge. I've had leaves die on some of the shorter branches. Should I cut the leafless branches down to the trunk or will the leaves grow back? On the other hand I have long flexible branches with leaves on the end. These longer branches tend to reach for the sun so I turn it every few days for even light. Should I pinch the tips off the longer branches to make it compact? Should I wire and shape the long branches? Any other pruning or care tips?
Good morning OP,

For a Jade plant or any bonsai for that matter, one of your main goals is branch and leaf ramification. This is the miniaturization and multiplication of leaves and branches to obtain an "older" look on your tree. The technique is similar to any regular tree, for example; cutting back to a single leaf or which ever leaf you prefer will result in the growth of four smaller leaves with a surface area proportionate to the leaf removed. The effect can be multiplied if the same technique is applied on the new growth after they have emerged. This technique takes time and should not be rushed. I have attached a picture hopefully this helps.
Jade.jpg
and one more picture of a very old Jade bonsai
BONSAI JADE.jpg
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

-Jonathan

apples

Sometimes leaf fall is due to dry conditions.
To long between waterings

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”